Mas Adelante - Chapter Sixteen

"I'll see you later." Lola shut Oscar's car door, looking at him through the open window.

He nodded softly, "you need me to pick you up?"

"I'll walk." She shook her head, "be safe Oscar. Love you." He smiled as she walked off, lifting his foot from the brake.

She fixed her shirt and pulled her shorts up before knocking on the front door, a smile spreading on her face when she heard footsteps running toward it. Ruby moved the curtain at the window, grinning when he saw her. Lola waved, "open the door bebe."

The door unlocked and he hugged her, kissing her cheek. "Hey!"

"Hey." She giggled, wrapping her arms around his torso, "you either really missed me or you want something."

He parted, looking at her face with a small nod. "I missed you." He pulled her inside, shutting the door.

She placed a chaste kiss to his lips, awing. "I missed you too."

He blushed, taking her hand to walk her toward the couch. "There's no one home by the way, they all went to church."

Lola laughed, sitting down. "Why didn't you go?"

He shrugged, his eyes completely sparkled when he looked at her. "I wanted to see you." She gave his hand a squeeze, kissing his cheek. "How are you feeling?"

She sighed as he wrapped an arm around her, pressing his lips against the top of her head. "I got sick earlier, when I was looking for dresses with Oscar." Ruby nodded, listening. "He asked if Angelo had taken advantage of me."

"What?" He shook his head, "he asked you that?"

"Not in those exact words but.. yeah." She shrugged, "of course I said no, but he's not stupid. He's gonna find out sooner or later Ruby."

Ruby pouted, nodding. "So you want to tell him?"

"No." Lola shook her head, "that's the last thing I want to do." He played with her fingers and she watched. "I almost let him buy me a quince dress."

"Almost?"

"I couldn't do it." She quietly let out a huff, "I'm hiding something so big from him. He's gonna hate me when he finds out. I wouldn't want him to hate himself for wasting so much money and time."

"Honestly, I don't think he will."

Lola turned her head, "really?"

"I mean given the circumstances. Your families a little..."

"Oh?" She raised her eyebrows, sitting up straight to look at him correctly. "My family is a little what?"

"Complicated." He said, "I can see Oscar completely not caring."

The only thing she got from his statement was the word 'complicated' so that's what she pressed on about. "Complicated?"

"Not like others, you know? Your mom was–"

"I'm leaving." She stood, "bye."

"Wait Lola, I didn't mean it like that."

She chuckled, despite not being the least bit amused. "Not everybody has it made Ruby. Oscar does everything he can. We may not be like 'other families' but that's all I got."

"Lola." He sighed, "I—"

"Don't ever let anything about my mom come out of your mouth again, got it?" He nodded and she opened the door. "I'll text you later."

"Okay I–" she slammed the door shut and he huffed, smacking his hand against his face. "Why am I so eff-ing stupid!"