Mas Adelante - Chapter Twenty Three

Lola smiled down at Oscar as he slid her heel on. He was changing her flats to heels, no one knew why but it was a Mexican tradition so they went with it. "I can't get this hoe on." Oscar grunted, pulling the heel back off to realize it had a zipper in the back. "Shit." He mumbled, undoing the zipper and sliding her heel on, then the other one.

He helped her stand, smiling when he saw she was just a little under his chest now. He wasn't going to let her use any that were too high. He wasn't ready to let go of her shortness yet. Her childishness could go, but never that. "Thank you mano." She gave him a small hug, concentrating on not falling as they walked back toward the table of honor. Tati smiled at Oscar and he looked away so he wouldn't get embarrassed.

That didn't last long, though. His homies began yelling at him and cheering loudly, "Spooky! Spooky! Spooky!" He looked down, chuckling softly.

Lola laughed, scrunching her curls so they wouldn't go flat. "Hermano." She looked up at Oscar and he nodded, "I think I want to dance with Cesar too."

A whole-hearted smile filled his face as he turned to see Cesar sitting with his arms crossed and in a grumpy mood, he thought Lola hated him completely. "Go make his day, lil mama." He encouraged and her heart gleamed, nodding at the DJ to start a slow song.

Everybody noticed her walking toward Cesar but him, so when he saw her small hand in front of him he furrowed his eyebrows. His eyes slowly trailed up her arm and to her face, his thick eyebrows were now raised. "Dance with me, hermano?"

A small smile snuck on his face as he uncrossed his arms, "really?"

She nodded, "you gonna leave me hanging?"

His smile filled his face now as he took her hand, standing. She pulled him to the dance floor, wrapping her arms around him.

Meanwhile, Ruby watched, with the occasional glance at Sad Eyes. He wasn't doing anything but Ruby thought he looked so suspicious. All he did the whole night was talk to his homies, drink and occasionally go to the restroom. He went every ten to twenty minutes. Not relevant but that was Ruby's observation. Maybe he was just a jealous boyfriend.

Sad Eyes had noticed, but he was a grown man. Was he suppose to apologize for something Lola said? He didn't even know she was going to do that, he thought she wasn't going to have it. He watched Ruby turn around, waving at him. Ruby spun quickly, freezing. Sad Eyes laughed, nudging his homie. "This dude gots something bothering him or no se que honda."

His homie kissed his teeth, "es un niño, Mario's lil bro."

"Oh that right?" Sad eyes raised an eyebrow, looking at the back of Ruby's head as he sipped from his beer can.

"Can I say something?" Cesar nodded, looking down at he sister as they swayed. "Okay but don't let it get to your fat head."

He laughed, "oh my god, you're a literal demon manita."

She sighed, tilting her head up at him. "I love you mano, more than anything."

He smiled, "yeah?"

She nodded, "yeah, and I have a confession." Cesar raised an eyebrow, testing her. "I call everybody puto cause I know you hate it."

"I knew it!" He groaned, chuckling. "Only word in the world that pisses me off and it's the only word you know how to use." He shook his head, "la misma diabla." She giggled as he spun her around, "but I wouldn't trade your punk ass for the world princesa, know that okay?"

"Can't wait to call you a puto for the rest of my life." She sighed, looking up at him slowly, "you would never hate me, would you?"

"How could you even think that?" He scoffed, "you're my baby sister, the only sister I have. I'll never leave your side. No matter what."

She nodded, setting her head on his chest so he wouldn't see her start to tear up. "I love you Cesar."

He kissed her head, "I love you Lolita."