twenty - of the moon

"I can't believe you guys."

"Kelani, shut up."

"I literally can't believe this."

"Shut up."

It was Monday, the first day back from winter break and I hadn't seen Alex in 3 days. My parents were home all weekend and wanted to spend time together as a 'family' so I couldn't sneak out and go see him. They barely acknowledged me on a regular basis and now they wanted to be together. Hell, they leave me alone for the holidays every year!

Kelani was on my back about Alex, even though she knew just as much as I did. Alex made the first move twice, but I haven't talked to him about what we were yet. I was kind of scared to.

"What is going on with you two?" She pressed.

"I texted him and asked him to meet up with me tonight so we could talk," I said. "He hasn't responded yet."

I turned around and looked to the back of the classroom where Alex and Aiden were sitting. Alex had his head down on his arms and he looked like he was sleeping. Aiden looked back at us and then his gaze shifted to Kelani. She threw an angry look back at him before turning around. His eyes grew soft and he looked down. Aiden Sinclair looked sad? I didn't think he had any other emotion except anger and annoyance.

"What was that?" I asked her.

"Nothing," she responded too quickly.

I knew she was hiding something from me. "What happened?"

She groaned. "He's an asshole!"

My eyes widened. "What? Who?"

"Aiden. He kissed me," she finally admitted.

I almost let out a scream in the middle of class, which led to our teacher telling me to quiet down. "Really? When? How?" I stopped when she glared at me.

She frowned. "This isn't a good thing. I don't want to catch feelings for him and he knows that. Why'd he have to kiss me?"

"If you're really this worried, you've already caught feelings."

She put her head down in her hands and grumbled, "I don't want to, though."

"Come on. You told me to go for it with Alex. Why can't you go for it with Aiden?"

"It's different."

"Not really."

"It's complicated."

"Only if you make it."

"I'm complicated," she admitted.

"You can be complicated together. It's a good fit, really."

The bell rang signaling the end of class and Kelani quickly got up and nudged my shoulder towards the back of the class. "I'll see you after the next period."

While she was walking out, I saw Aiden rush up to her. He put a hand on her shoulder and she actually turned around to talk to him. Sure, it looked like she was angrily seething, but still. Progress.

Now it's my turn. Swallowing my anxiety, I walked over to where Alex was getting up, still half asleep. He looked dazed.

"Are you okay?" I asked slowly.

"Mhm," he mumbled. "Just tired. I couldn't sleep last night." We started walking out of the class together as students hurried by to get to next period.

"Oh, I was just going to ask if you were free tonight. I wanted to talk."

He didn't look back at me. "Uh, I'm going to hang out with some friends tonight."