twenty three - coming clean

I walked into my house and was immediately bombarded with questions and angry voices.

"Where were you?"

"Are you crying?"

"What happened?"

"Are you okay?"

"Why didn't you pick up our calls?"

"Do you see what time it is?"

"We were worried sick."

And then they both pulled me into bone crushing hugs before continuing their scoldings again.

I took a deep breath and looked at my parents. They were angry but I didn't care at all. I had to tell them, now or never. There was nothing left to lose.

"I never stopped seeing Alex." They both stared back at me with surprise but I didn't give them time to talk. "I know you disapproved but I didn't care because I love him."

"Nicole-" My dad began sharply.

I cut him off, trying not to cry. "He overdosed. I was in the hospital. They don't think he's going to make it."

I don't know if I even said the last part out loud. My mom had rushed over to me and pulled me into a hug. "Oh no, baby," she whispered in my ear as I cried into her shoulder.

All I could see was my dad's face. His mouth was agape, but after a moment he closed it and his eyes went soft. He came over and wrapped an arm around me from the other side.

The next day, Alex still hadn't woken up. Aiden was at the hospital all night and Kelani finally convinced him to go home, but not easily. The doctor said he'd call us immediately if there's any update.

At that point, the doctors accepted that Alex was gone, but we hadn't. He was a fighter. He was going to be okay.

It was almost 3 pm when my mom knocked on my door. "Are you up?"

I didn't move from my blankets.

"Can I come in?"

I groaned, which she took as a yes, because the door opened softly. She came over and sat down at the foot of my bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," I said. I knew she hated it when I cursed, but neither of us cared at that moment.

"He's going to be okay," she said softly.

"Don't say stuff you don't know is true," I whispered, blinking away tears. Finally, I sit up. "I love him, Mom. I know you think he's a bad person, or we're too young, or some other bullshit, but I don't care. I love him."

She reached over and placed a hand on mine. "I know, baby." For the first time, she looked like she was going to cry, too.

"Did Dad's parents ever disapprove of you?" I asked, curious.

"No, never. They've always loved me. But my parents didn't like your dad at all," she laughed, wiping her eyes. "It was more of a culture and race thing. They were really traditional and he wasn't what they wanted or expected. But they eventually excepted it, because we got married and had you. You were the greatest gift to all of us."

I snorted. One would think the greatest gift would get a little more attention. I thought about what she just said. "So your parents disapproved but you still took a chance and chose Dad because you love him."