twenty two - love letters from the dead

Alex

I'm never going to get out of this nightmare.

That's all that replayed in my head for the next 3 hours. I was going to die either way. Either keep living and be miserable for the next few years until I eventually get killed. Or end it all right now.

It was only going to get worse. Every day, I'd have to go and get beat up by strangers to make the gang money, I'd have to sell drugs and ruin lives to make the gang money, I'd eventually have to kill people. I couldn't do that. I couldn't live with myself now, how was I supposed to do it after taking away someone's life?

"Fuck," I yelled, frustrated, to the empty house. The house that wasn't even mine. Nothing here was mine. I had nothing. Not even the house. Which now had three holes in the living room wall, that I impulsively punched. Wonder how I'm going to pay for that with the money I don't have.

I slowly got up and walked to my room and opened the drawer with the pills in it. The bag spilled out a bunch of miscellaneous white pills.

'Is this really worth it?'

I thought back to everything. Nikki was right. She was the only thing I had left and I was ruining her life. I had to do this.

I put the pills back in the bag and strolled over to get a piece of paper and a pen. I spent a few minutes writing a letter. It took me a while to think of exactly what I wanted to write. I put it in an envelope and placed it on my bed.

Then, I walked back over to the pills. This is your only choice. You'll make everyone's life so much easier. You'll stop being a burden.

Without thinking twice, I shoved the pills in my mouth all at once and waited. It felt like a few minutes before they started kicking in. Or maybe it was a few seconds. I wouldn't know. Time felt irrelevant.

The familiar feeling of numbness took over my body. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My lips were turning purple and my skin was losing color. I slowly laid down on the floor, unable to stand anymore. My throat felt like it was closing and I couldn't breathe.

Then, everything went black.

Nicole

"Shut up," I yelled at my phone from across the room. It didn't listen and kept ringing with calls and text messages. I immediately regretted it.

Great. Now I just broke my phone. Groaning, I got up from my bed and walked to my dresser.

Missed Call from Kelani (7)
Missed Call from Aiden (5)
iMessage from Kelani  (11)
iMessage from Aiden (8)

Frowning, I opened the texts from Kelani.

call me ASAP!
where are you?!
omg
answer my texts and calls
i know you see this
EMERGENCY
HOW ARE YOU ALWAYS ON YOUR PHONE BUT NOT ON IT WHEN I ACTUALLY NEED YOU
come to the hospital
we need you
please hurry

My heart stopped as I read the texts over and over again. Realizing what was happening, I quickly called Kelani.

She picked up on the first ring and started speaking quickly. "Nicole, please hurry to the hospital. I don't know what's happening, I'm so scared." I could hear her crying.

"What's going on?" was all I could manage to say.

"I'll explain everything when you get here," she sobbed. "Aiden's here with me. Hurry please."

I don't know how, but I managed to get into my car and drive to the hospital. I couldn't think straight and I was too shocked to even cry. What was happening? Were Aiden or Kelani hurt? Was it Alex?