fifteen

"Where's Steve and Raven? You got a location on Rogers and Nix?!" Natasha's voice was scratchy as she shouted into the communication set, only for no response to be heard.

• • •

I woke up with my lungs struggling to get air. I coughed up water as my blurry vision cleared to see him sitting next to me.

I grunted, trying to push myself to a sitting position, but failed when an intense pain flowed through my shoulder.

"He stabbed you, I took out the knife when I got you on the shore." I nodded at the Soldier's words, using my other arm to sit up. "You need some sort of medical attention."

I shake my head as I stumble to my feet. "I'll heal on my own."

   He stands up with me. "We need to go."

   I look back to the shore I had just laid on, noticing the man we were fighting next to me. "You saved him. Why?"

   "It doesn't matter. Let's go."

• • •

   The need to be quiet and be a perfect soldier subsides after a while, knowing that after what happened, neither of us were in a position of authority around one another.

   The twitch at the back of my brain returned; a feeling of something trying to come back, but failing.

   I didn't know where we were going, but I did know it would have to be somewhere good, because there was definitely going to be people after us.

   "Do you have a plan?" I ask, looking up to him slightly. "We've been walking for hours."

"We need to get out of the country. In order to do that, you're going to need to help."

"Obviously."

• • •

Steve lays in the hospital bed as Sam sits beside him. "When am I gonna be discharged? I've been here for a couple days and no one is telling me anything. What exactly happened, Sam?"

"That's a very . . . broad answer you're asking for there. A lot happened."

"What about Raven? Did she—she make it? The beam that fell was really heavy and I . . . I need to know."

Sam looks down, a sigh leaving his mouth before turning to Steve. "The search and recovery teams are still working, but as of now, they haven't found any bodies. Your buddy from the forties is gone, and no one can find her yet." He shrugs. "My guess is that if she's alive, they're probably together, maybe out of the country."

   Steve listens as he speaks, nodding along here and there. "She's tough, she isn't dead." He assures himself. "Raven's smart, even if whatever they did to her made her forget everything."

-
And this concludes part two: the winter soldier of this book! Part three will continue around the same time period of Civil War, but who knows? Maybe I'll start it a bit before that so more of Bucky and Raven's lil story will be shown.