Farewell at Dawn

Unedited.

Chapter 23:  Farewell at Dawn.

Arrow's soft breath ghosted my hand as she searched for more treats, her body relaxed as the stable was a hum of life around her. Her coat was gleaming, and she was freshly saddled, with bags packed for necessities for the road. She listened to my patiently, a soft occasional nicker telling me that she was listening. I appreciated the company even though I knew she didn't understand my talk of too much beer and not enough sleep.

I pressed a kiss to her snout as I heard the whisper of boots heading my way. Too heavy to be a stable-hand; someone weighed down by an armour or weapons.

The Captain leaned on the door into the stall. He was freshly bathed, dampened dark curls curling at his ears and the residue of moisture seeping into the collar of his tunic. Tiredness was dusted mauve under the eyes, but his gaze was still as intent and watchful.

"Miss Birchwood." He greeted me, his tone quiet.

"You can call me Aviana," I brushed a hand down Arrow's thick neck. "There is no need for formalities all the time."

The denial was instant, the need to stay rigidly in that box of control he clung to so strongly. But even as that frown creased his brow, he stopped himself. His attention flickered to a young stable-hand who was leading a powerful, ebony coated charger out into the morning sun.

"The road to Shaldorn is a dangerous one...Aviana. I am sure you must be nervous."

"Nervous?" I left Arrow's side to stand in front of me, rubbing the residue of oat from my hand. "Why would I be nervous about riding into a camp full of Paladin Captains? Never."

"You're lying." He pointed out.

"Perhaps." The same stable hand approached the take the next horse out. I wondered why all the work was left to him. "I know they won't like me, but I want them to respect the Legion and what it could become."

"No, they won't." Mahon said, as I took Arrow's reins. She walked along behind me, easy and content. The Captain fell into step beside me. "They will see a Half-Blood firstly. Ears quite not sharp enough, and not as tactful as her Elven kin. They will judge you, that's unavoidable. But they will learn they're wrong. They will see the strength of your character, your unwavering resolve and determination to end this before it truly begins, and they will learn that there is more to you than just your blood."

I floundered for a second, confused. "Was that a compliment, Mahon?"

"It is Captain Bryant to you," He said gruffly as we stepped out into the morning sun, which glistened off fresh snow as if there were tiny diamonds sprinkled across the ground.

"You didn't answer my question," I sang.

The corner of his mouth quirked, a smile threatening to rise. That cold, intolerant guard was breaking under the weight of the three of us: Kohen, Fyr and I. By the time we were done with him, he might be drooling uncontrollably. "I'm not sure about them seeing the strength of my character though. I was in Dratlan for ...twelve* years I think and there were days only recently where they brought up that I was a Half-blood." I paused for a moment, before I felt the need to add, "There was no condemnation in it. I was just Aviana."

"Twelve years ..." The Captain stewed. "That is a long time."

"That depends on how long you were with the Paladins?" I asked curiously. The morning air was crisp and soul-clearing. I tipped my face up to the winter-sun, hoping and wishing that the fresh air would soothe my heavy, ale addled skull.