chapter 4 - letters back and forth

- Story originally written 20th January 2020, fully edited 18th March 2023 and further edited 30th December 2023.
- This part was originally re-published March 18th 2023. Renamed 1st January 2024.

Warnings:
> Slight mention of cuts/ wounds

Draco Malfoy's owl Ulysses has never been confirmed a male or female, so in this story Ulysses has been portrayed a male owl, please let me know if I've missed any information or got any information wrong.

———

Harry decided to make his way to the Gryffindor common room, half three could be read on the clock placed on the rooms walls, he couldn't sleep which was nowhere near uncommon for him. He stayed there for a while, staring out the window admiring the Hogwarts grounds, they look so peaceful at night. Something made the boy jump and move back from the glass.

An owl had sat on the architecture outside the window, a brown envelope held by its beak. He slid open the window, reached out and took hold of the letter deciding that whoever it was for he would place it on the table for that someone to find later, but Harry was surprised to see his name, written neatly on the front.

TO HARRY POTTER,

A CHARM HAS BEEN PLACED, I WILL BE TOLD IF IT'S NOT 
THE AFOREMENTIONED PERSON WHO HAS OPENED THIS LETTER.

Harry's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he gently pulled the envelope out of its casing, who would send me a letter?

DEAR HARRY POTTER,

I'm unsure if you'll be awake at this hour, if not I've asked Ulysses to return this letter back to me. I find myself with a small number of reasons for sending this letter. One relating to the drawing you were working on yesterday, how's it going? I hope I still get to see it when it's completed. 
The second reason concerns a different matter, which I'm sure is a sensitive subject. When we shared a compartment, I caught sight of the cuts patterned across the back of your hand, and it made me wonder if you're okay. This may sound odd coming from me, but I'm here if you need someone to help bandage anything up, I'm afraid my expertise in that field is far to high. 

I send my apologies if this letter or any of my questions have caused you any discomfort.

Sincerely Draco Malfoy.

Draco felt incredibly stupid, I shouldn't have sent the letter, what if Potter thinks I'm weird? If he shows his friends I'm going to have to conjure up a lie, say he made it up. Before his thoughts could run wild any longer he saw an owl in the distance, too far to see if a letter remained in its mouth, he hoped it would arrive back to him untouched while he also hoped his bird arrived empty mouthed.

As Ulysses got closer Draco could see his beak, no letter resting there, that's when Draco knew Harry had received his letter.

-
408 words -  chapter 4: letter