⋈ 2. Reconnect ⋈

"

from the smoke came locusts on the earth,
they were told not to harm the grass or the trees,
but only those of mankind

"

Earth, 2019: Monarch Outpost 61 - Yunnan Rainforest, China

Madison stared at her laptop screen with an empty expression, headphones blasting a song that had become nothing but white noise in her ears.

As she scrolled through dozens of emails - most of which consisted of newsletters and petitions crooning about the next animal to make it to the endangered list, climate change, and the overall hubris that is the current government, among other things - what had her chewing her lip with nerves was a single email, short and sweet, from her father. How a single "How's it going?" could make her so nervous, she would never know. With a deep inhale, she clicked on the message.

Hey Madison,
Haven't heard from you guys in a few months. Hope you're having fun. Here are a few pics of the wolves I've been studying. Aren't they cute?
Love,
Dad

Below were three photos of gray wolves, one of which showed two pups play-fighting with each other in the middle of a grassy field. As she continued scrolling down, her eyes widened, narrowing as she continued on. It was a photo of her? But she was much younger, 10 at the oldest. The next featured her father as well, proudly holding up what looked like a fairly small trout while she smiled next to him. A small grin appeared on her face.

She remembered that day, how her father sacrificed a weekend where he was supposed to be out doing field work but instead spent it with her in the form of a fishing trip. While they hadn't caught much, she remembers insisting on releasing what they did catch almost immediately afterward. But not before getting quick pictures for memory's sake.

Madison typed, slowly at first but she could feel all the words she wanted - needed - to say spill forth. She reeled them in.

Hey dad,
Sorry I haven't written back. I miss you, but there's something I want to talk to you about...I'm getting worried about mom.

An alarm blared in her ears, startling her out of focus with a jump.

"Shit." she whispered harshly under her breath, throwing her headphones on the counter.

As she turned to look at the source of the smoke slowly but surely filling her senses, the fire underneath the pan licked at her hands. Her trail of expletives only increased.

Grabbing the pan with no afterthought, she winced, nearly burning her hand on the stovetop when the fire underneath only increased in intensity. Quickly flicking the thin blackened strips of what used to be bacon onto a plate, she heard the patter of footsteps quickly approaching from behind.