⋈ 3. The Folly of Man ⋈

"

we cannot command nature
except by obeying her

"

U

U.S. Capital - Washington, D.C.

Jodie's grip on her recorder tightened when the sound of Godzilla's distinctive atomic breath whirred throughout the room.

On the screen beside her, she found it difficult to look away from the archival footage of the carnage that had unfolded in San Francisco all those years ago. It was mesmerizing in some awful, morbidly fascinating way. Before she could lose herself in the sight of the giant amphibian going toe-to-toe with one of the MUTOs, the sound of her colleague clearing his throat snapped her back to attention. Squaring her shoulders, she pressed a button on her recorder.

"What we are witnessing here, Senators, is the return of an ancient and forgotten super-species. Godzilla, the MUTOs, Kong.."

Despite the confident tone in his voice, she didn't miss the way his hands fumbled with the projector remote as he began the presentation. She tensed, trying to reassure herself that they had both spent hours beforehand practicing his opening speech.

Jodie and the other three - Coleman, Serizawa, and Graham - were loathe to admit how nervous they were for this hearing. They were no stranger to them, and this was just one of many sure to come. But out of the dozens they had been forced to attend this was one of the more important ones. Tensions were at an all time high, and as the days went on it was only growing stronger between Monarch and the government.

"And they're just the tip of the iceberg. We believe that these 'titans' and others like them provide an essential balance to our world - a keystone species if you will. And while some may pose a threat, Monarch is uniquely prepared to determine which of these titans are here to threaten us, and which of these titans are here to protect us."

Exasperated, the head committee chair - Senator Claire Godine - rolled her eyes.

"Thank you for the 5th grade history lesson, Mr. Coleman."

With a curt nod, he smoothed his jacket, fiddling with his cuffs as he sheepishly looked around the room. Returning to his seat beside Dr. Graham, Jodie bit the inside of her cheek. This was already going about as well as she expected.

"But we still haven't heard one good reason why Monarch shouldn't fall under military jurisdiction. Or why these creatures shouldn't be exterminated."

Jodie's jaw tightened.

In front of her she could see Dr. Serizawa twitch, head turning ever so slightly to glance across at Admiral Stenz, who was already looking at him out of the corner of his eye. She hoped they would avoid conflict at least once during these types of meetings, but at this point such an event seemed highly unlikely.