⋈ 5. Communion ⋈

"

below the thunders of the upper deep,
far, far beneath in the abysmal sea,
his ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep

"

After the briefing, it took all of Jodie's self control not to sprint to the facility's living quarters

Gill had been cleared to leave the infirmary shortly before their arrival, and she'd be damned if she didn't get to at least say hello before they left for wherever the ORCA's signal took them.

Finally arriving at their apartment (if you could even call it that, it was more of an abnormally large dorm than anything), she knocked. On the other side, through the thick steel door, she heard a feeble "Who is it?" Smiling, she placed a hand on its surface.

"Who else could it be?"

After a quick succession of feet pattering against the floor, the door slid open. It was Gill in her usual get-up - a plain tank tucked into palazzo pants. Her hair was messier than usual, and although she seemed happy to see her, there was something in her eyes that made her look like she was on the verge of crying. Jodie had never pulled her in for a hug so fast in her life.

Gill's hands wrapped around her, gripping her blazer as if she were an apparition that could disappear at any second. She drew in a shaky breath. Jodie stroked her hair, hands trailing down to cup her cheeks. Wordlessly, they entered the room.

There, Gill pulled away, rubbing the tears that had gathered in the corners of her eyes away with the palm of her hand. The two collapsed on the small sofa in the center of the room, sitting about as close to each other as they could.

"Sorry I couldn't be here sooner, I was -"

"You don't have to apologize for anything," she said with a sad smile. "I'm just glad you're here."

Leaning in for a kiss, Jodie happily obliged. Even beneath meters and meters of cold ocean water, she never felt warmer when she was with Gill.

Drawing herself back, there was a shift in her expression, something serious.

"What's wrong?"

The pause made Jodie's stomach drop. She opened her mouth, then quickly shut it. Jodie could practically see her mind trying to connect the right words to each other. She prodded her arm.

"What's wrong."

"I'm...Dr. Ling and I are leaving for China."

"Audrey -"

Gill shot her a look. Jodie only used her first name when she was really distraught, and she hadn't used it in a long time. Jodie sighed, hands pushing back the stray curls that fell in front of her forehead.