⋈ 8. Long Live the King ⋈

"

my name is Ozymandias,
king of kings;
look upon my works, ye mighty,
and despair

"

By the time Mark and Coleman returned to the bridge, the Argo was already well away from the fight, which still raged with as much passion as it had back in Antarctica

Only Godzilla was in his element now. That much was evident in how he wrestled with Monster Zero almost gracefully, rolling him like a crocodile, trying to keep all three shrieking heads underwater.

"Twenty seconds to impact." Stanton said, snapping Jodie out of her daze and reminding her of the awful reality.

"Impact?" Mark wondered.

"What did we miss?" Coleman asked.

In that moment, a draconic talon hurtled toward the Argo's main windshield, the tips of its claws scraping against the glass before Godzilla yanked Monster Zero back down. The craft pulled up, getting out of range as fast as possible.

"We're getting out of here." Stanton said.

"Military launched a weapon," Jodie said, trying not to sound hurt. "It's about to kill them both."

Mark glanced over at Serizawa, whose brow was deeply furrowed. Without a hint of sympathy in his voice, he spoke. "It's not the worst idea."

At that, she snapped. Fighting the g-force pushing against her bones and dragging her way over to him, she drew her arm back. He was barely turning around when her fist connected with his jaw.

Mark sucked in a breath, holding the side of his face as he stumbled backward in shock and pain. Jodie shook the pinpricks of numbness that dusted her knuckles before walking back to a seat, crossing her arms. The Argo was silent, her actions had said enough for all of them.

Outside, Godzilla was winning.

Monster Zero's internal light flickered in and out as Godzilla pulled them under again and again, their maws filling with water before they could even think about taking a breath. Godzilla had never looked stronger.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven," Stanton began counting down. For once, there wasn't a hint of his signature flippant sarcasm.

Jodie was trembling.

Through the tumult she saw Godzilla grab one of Monster Zero's necks, biting deeply until the head tore off completely. It was brutal, watching the dragon's stump shoot out a spray of black blood into the water around them. It would've looked like an oil spill if she didn't know any better.

"Three, two -"

A bright light passed through her peripheral vision, and that's when she knew the fight was over, regardless of who was winning. Both monsters were engulfed in light, its brightness expanding so far it nearly covered the whole island. Jodie sucked in a breath through clenched teeth, slamming her eyes shut. The resulting shock wave from the blast shook the Argo, and she felt the impact rattle her to her very core.