Chapter 9

Jasmine's POV

I woke up with a start. I was panting and sweating profusely. I was shaking and couldn't quite make out anything around me. Slowly, my breathing came back to normal and I looked around my dark room. My eyes fell on the clock on the wall. 2:45 am.

I yanked the covers off me and stood up. I went to the washroom to refresh myself. After coming out, I sat at the foot of the bed and closed my eyes briefly, taking deep breaths.

But the nightmare still won't leave my mind.

Giving up on catching any sleep, I walked to my window and opened it. My eyes immediately fell on the window opposite mine. The lights were switched off. Obviously he's sleeping, you idiot.

I sighed and looked outside. The weather was a bit chilly but still with a whif of warmth. I walked to my closet and pulled a hoodie over my tank top and shorts. Walking back to the window, I pulled back the curtains completely and opened the window wide. Then swinging one leg out, I pulled myself out of the window and latched onto the ladder beside it, just outside the house. I climbed it up and reached the rooftop. I settled myself on the slant roof and pulled my knees to my chest.

I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. The sounds of crickets and night owls came out from somewhere. A cool breeze flew my hair away from my face. Slowly, I started feeling myself at peace.

Suddenly, I felt a movement beside me. Startled, I opened my eyes and whipped my head towards the movement. I let out a yelp and almost slid down the roof. But a pair of arms latched around my waist, pulling me up and towards a hard chest.

"Easy there now." Chris's husky voice sounded near my ear. "Sorry. I didn't wanted to startle you."

I felt a shiver run down my spine. Sensing it, Chris pulled me closer to him and wrapped his other arm around me. I felt heat creeping up my body.

Little did he know the shivers weren't because of the cold.

"What are you doing here this late?" He whispered near my ear.

"I couldn't sleep." I whispered back.

"Why?"

I deliberated on whether I should tell him. Then sighing I replied, "Nightmare."

Chris didn't say anything after that. He just put his chin on my shoulder and 'hmm'ed'.

"How often do you get these nightmares?" He asked after sometime.

"Not quite often. Very less." I lied.

I couldn't tell him how often I do get these nightmares. And how I can't forget that night.

"So everytime you get a nightmare, you come here?" He asked.

"Mhmm."

We sat silently after that. The sound of the night along with the cool breeze made me calm. But the arms wrapped around me, the chin on my shoulders and the light breathing at the junction of my neck and ear were giving me funny feelings.

"Why are you here?" I asked him.

"I woke up feeling thirsty. While returning back to bed, I saw your window open wide. I wondered if you were here. Seems like I was right." He chuckled lightly.

I smiled and unconsciously laid myself back on his chest and relaxed. Only when he tightened his hold on me did I realise the position we were in.

"Uhh I think you can leave me. I'm fine." I said, trying to get out of his hold.

"Uhh uh. No can do. You're cold. And what if you fall down?" He said and pulled me closer. I blushed at the intimacy but didn't say anything after that. I kinda felt good in his arms. Safe and protected.

I looked up at the sky and smiled at the beautiful array of stars. I've always loved stargazing. It gave me a sense of comfort.

"Angie liked stargazing too. Just like you." Chris spoke after sometime.

"Angie?" Even though the name sounded familiar, I couldn't quite point out where I heard it before.

He chuckled. "You don't remember her, do you?"

"No." I replied, ducking my head in shame.

"She was my little sister."

His words left me baffled. He has a sister?

What? You thought it was a girlfriend, didn't you?

Oh shut up dirty mind.

"You've a sister?" I asked.

"Had. She died in a car accident."

I felt my heart fall down. I turned my head to look at Chris. His head was turned up, towards the sky. His strong and sharp jawline, along with his sharp nose, accentuated by the moonlight, gave him an angelic look. I felt my heart skip a beat. He turned towards me and gave me a small sad smile.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Don't be. It has been a long time."

"When did it happen?" I couldn't help but ask.

"8 years ago. It was one of the reasons we left. Mom and Dad couldn't live with the fact that she wasn't here. They needed to get out somewhere. And I had already enrolled myself in college in Los Angeles. So it was a win win situation. But after I graduated and got a job here, they decided to come back with me. And I think they don't regret their decision."

I silently pondered upon what he said.

"How old was she?" I asked.

"Seven. She was one year younger than you."

We fell into a comfortable silence after that. I kept looking at the sky, and wondered about the girl I knew as well as didn't. I wish I would've remembered her.

"Both of you were best of friends. You were inseparable." Chris said.

I felt bad for forgetting her. Sensing my changed demeanour Chris spoke up.

"Don't blame yourself Princess. It's not your fault you don't remember her."

"But it is my fault!" I snapped and felt tears slide down my cheeks.

Chris wiped the tears off my face and turned me to look at him. I looked into his beautiful green eyes and gulped.

Cupping my face into his hands, he said, "You've a precious heart Jasmine. You feel other people's pain. And that makes you a wonderful human being. People forget. And no one can blame you because you yourself were so small. But know that Angie forgives you. Wherever she is now, she's looking down at you. And she's so proud of the woman you've become. Keep growing, love. You're one of a kind." He kissed my forehead and laid my head on his chest.

I felt my heart would come out of my chest. It was bursting with so many emotions for this man. Respect. Gratitude. Wonder.

Love.

The last thought would've scared the shit out of me, provided I wasn't so tired and sleepy. I decided to ponder over it later and let out a yawn.

"Sleep Princess." A voice whispered in my ear.

The last thing I remember was a soft kiss on my temple, lulling me to a dreamless stupor.