Chapter 35

"Come on, Corrine. Let's dance," Dan announced, more of a command than a request.

I looked at James who chuckled and raised his beer to us, wishing us well.

"OK, let's go," I said, cheerily, although inside I was worried that if I got up, would the busboy remember who I was? Would he be able to identify me on the dance floor?

I glanced over past the bar to the kitchen area but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. No strange eyes searching the premises. No bouncers on alert. No police officers present. Damn.

We began dancing to Gap Band's "Burn Rubber," which had a great rhythm and vibe that helped me not obsess about my plight.

When the song was over, I said to Dan, "Let's go sit down. I'm winded."

When we arrived at our table, I reached for my drink and smiled at James.

"Did you have fun?" James inquired.

"Absolutely," I proclaimed with a big smile that masked my tangled insides.

"Let's leave after the next song, okay?" Dan asked, more to James than to me.

"Sure."

Damn it. Where were my saviors? I casually glanced over to the kitchen. Nothing out of the ordinary. I tried to switch my focus onto Trevor's band. They were playing some rock song I didn't recognize. And this was the last in this set before they were going to take another break. But I didn't want to leave. I wanted to scream. I unknowingly put my fists up to my forehead.

"Hey, you okay?" James asked. He rubbed my back in a caring, circular motion.

"Oh, yeah, yeah," waving my hands in the air as if it was nothing. "Uh, my contacts are a bit blurry is all. No big deal. Must be the smoke." Yet another difference between California and Kansas—Californians couldn't smoke in bars anymore.

"I'll get the check," James said, looking around for our waitress.

"No rush," I said.

Once Trever finished up his set, he walked over to our table. "Hey, guys. Getting ready to go?"

"Yeah, it's getting late," Dan said.

"You were fantastic. It was so nice to meet you," I said, and he hugged me.

"I'm so glad you made it," he replied. "Maybe we'll do it again sometime."

James took care of the bill and stood up to leave. "Thanks again, bud."

"All right. Drive safe."

Dan and James shook hands and pleasantries with Trevor, then we stood up from the table. My dream was quickly floating away. I was already thinking of my next opportunity. Tonight wasn't going to be the night.

I held James's hand as we began to walk out of the bar with Dan trailing not far behind us. When we got to the parking lot, we said goodnight to Dan and talked about getting together again but with Sarah, too. Afterward, James and I headed toward his car. I tried hard to hide my disappointment from him and stop my tears from flowing.

James had to park in a dirt lot because the small parking lot was already full when we got there. When we got to the car and James held the passenger side door open for me, I was suddenly blinded by a thousand lights at us.

"Freeze! Put your hands up!" someone in the lights yelled.

Instinctively I raised up both arms into the air and backed up closer to James. They must've been there for me. So why was I so scared? I looked over at James, and he too was complying.