fingers & roof

Steve and I stood staring blankly at the rising sun.
Domaubris was scheduled to arrive today with his celestial army and we were just humans. Although, Valkyrie was there with her army it was not much of a relief since we were fighting against someone who is beyond this world. I mean literally. Steve stood beside me looking tired,

"Tony, will everything be okay?", He asked. He was afraid.
"Hope is a big thing.", I said, pretending to be the bravest man on the planet.
"I have a bad feeling.. if anything happens to you–"
"If required I'll be with you for a thousand years. Don't worry. Nothing's gotcha happen to me.", I said with a smile.
"I don't wanna lose you, not this time.", Steve said as I gulped nervously and looked at him with a smile.
"You're not losing anyone, Cap. Everything's gonna be okay.", I said as I kissed him softly on his cheek.
"Time to go, is it?", He asked with a smile.
"It is.", I said as we turned towards the Avengers Tower, everybody was already ready to leave.

The truth was that this was seemed so different. We were fighting against something that was literally beyond this universe and we had no idea whatsoever. Even though Eva did try to explain things they were not much of a help because for all I knew we were on the verge of fighting a losing battle unless something like a miracle happened.

"Everything is ready?", I asked Pepper who seemed to have some trouble with her suit. Steve was talking to Bucky and Natasha couldn't have been more pleased to speak to Bruce.
"I guess.", Pepper said with a smile.
"Yeah.", I said, it was pretty awkward but still she tried to make me feel comfortable as she entwined her fingers with mine.
"It's okay. Everything is gonna be fine.", She said looking at my anxious face.
"Are you sure?", I asked.
"I have hope.", She said as I nodded.

I heaved a deep breath and nodded.
"I don't feel too good.", I said truthfully.
"Maybe you're just nervous.", She said as I nodded.
"By the way, why did you do that you know–"
"Marriage thing?", She asked.
I nodded quietly.
"You deserve happiness, Tony. And I'll do whatever I have to do for it.", She said with a smile.
"You know you're making me feel guilty.", I said looking away.
"You are doing what gives you happiness, and it can never be wrong Tony.", She said as she softly kissed me on my cheek.
"Thanks.", I smiled as she smiled back.

"Mr. Stark!", It was Peter. I turned as he walked up to me.
"What happened, kid?", I asked. He looked anxious.
"He's almost here. It's time we get ready. He'll attack anytime now.", Peter said as I nodded.

Morgan had been escorted off to the Stark Towers. She had made me promise her that I'd take care of myself and her mom.

"Alright, inform Rogers and he'll do his favourite job.", I said.
"And that is–"
"Giving an inspiration speech so that we fight with all we have.", I said as he smiled and headed towards Steve. I turned back towards Pepper.
"Everything will be okay.", She said giving me an encouraging smile.
"Hopefully.", I said and suddenly there was a loud thump.

She left my hand as the roof started falling. I ran towards Steve who had not noticed the roof above him. I immediately said,
"Fryday transfer helmet to Steve Rogers.", As my helmet immediately detached itself from my suit and in the fraction of a second and fixed itself on his head as the roof broke down. He had not expected it. I immediately flew up to him and pulled him to a side.

He slipped his hand behind my head to prevent any injuries. We fell on a side.
"You're okay, Cap?", I asked as the helmet's facemask opened.
"Are you?"
"I'm fine."
"Then I'm fine as well.", He said as I nodded.
"Fryday relatch the helmet.", He said as the helmet detached itself from him.
"But–", I tried to say.
"You need to more.", He said as I nodded.
"Let's do this–", he was about to say when I completed his statement,
"Together."

He smiled and repeated,
"Together."

°°°