Chapter Thirteen

Closing the book, Esme sank further down into her seat in the compartment. The constant sound of the train rolling over the rickety tracks and the faint noise from chattering students further down the carriage was proving to be too much of a distraction.
She tossed the ancient runes book into the seat beside her and rose her legs, resting her feet on the bench opposite.

Dark clouds had begun to form in the sky above, threatening to unleash a winter storm upon them. That was just what Esme needed to match her feelings.

She hadn't spent much time alone since the start of the year and this was a much needed opportunity to recharge her social battery.
Upon boarding the train, the popular group of Ravenclaw students in their year had swarmed around Dirk, wishing to spend time with him. That was where Esme contently parted ways with him, not wishing to be surrounded by those overwhelming people.

Truthfully, Esme wasn't sure what to do. Normally she would be quite happy left alone with her thoughts, but recently her mind had been lingering on none other than Regulus Black. The girl did not want to spend any time thinking of him, so she needed to distract herself. Yet she was also aware that some point before the train pulled into Kings Cross, she would have to locate the Slytherin boy.

"Esme, you idiot." She tugged at her own hair, wishing she could control the thoughts swirling in her mind.

"Yeah, that's one word for it."

The glass door to the compartment had slid open without her notice and in the doorway stood none other than Levi Rogers.
She rolled her eyes at the sight of the Gryffindor student, before pushing herself to sit more upright.

"Ah, Rogers, however may I help you?" She smiled sweetly at him.
The boy chuckled, folding his arms, "I need your opinion on something."

"Oh?" She grew confused, frowning with her eyebrows knitted together.

"Yeah, I'm that desperate." Levi took a small step into the compartment before catching himself and stopping in place.
"Alright," She nodded slowly, "Come in, I guess. What do you need my opinion on?"

He began, "Mortimer Selwyn."
"The Slytherin?"
Levi nodded.

"I don't really know him." Esme shrugged, turning her gaze back out of the window.
"You know he's in Slytherin." He pointed out, "And aren't you pureblood families all friends? You've got to know the Selwyns."

She winced slightly at his words, not wishing to think about it. "Why do you want to know my opinion on him, anyway? What do you care about him?"

"Okay..." Levi sighed, slumping down in his seat opposite Esme, "He's been bothering my sister."
"Right?" Esme looked thoroughly puzzled, "I think I'm more confused now. How does any of that involve me or my opinion?"

He huffed, "You can be pretty... harsh with your words. I pretty much just want to ruin his confidence."
"Wow... Cruel and malicious." Esme nodded with a small smile, "What did Selwyn do to your sister to deserve that?"

Levi fiddled with his fingers for a moment before absentmindedly running a hand through his hair, fluffing it up. "It doesn't matter."

"Oh go on, this is the first time we've spoken and not argued. You've got to tell me what he's done." Esme pursued.
"We're going to argue if you keep pestering me about it." He grumbled.

"Rogers, seriously. We can do more than just some mean words. We can get him back properly, but I'm going to need a reason for it." She smirked now as Levi's head perked up at her words.

"Okay, deal." He leant forward, resting his elbows on his knees. With that, a plan was in motion. Levi explained how Mortimer Selwyn had been spreading rumours of an inappropriate nature about his sister. He explained how Selwyn had even lifted up the younger girl's skirt one day in front of a group of students.