Chapter Forty One

It was a glorious morning the day Regulus and Esme ventured out into the countryside. The first glistening light of sunrise was peaking over the hill, illuminating the dewy grass. Minute by minute, the sunlight was creeping down the opposite hill towards where Esme and Regulus sat on a tartan blanket in the valley.

"I'll admit..." Esme began slowly, "This may have been a good idea."

Regulus chuckled, resting his head in his hands as he lay out across the blanket, "I could have told you that."
"Way to stay humble." She replied whilst sat with her legs tightly crossed and a bowl of fruit in her lap. Lazily, Esme would pick at the variety of raspberries and strawberries as they both watched the sun slowly rise over the landscape.

"At least it gets me away from your parents." He sighed, "I'm fairly sure they're getting ready to murder me."
Esme straightened out her legs and replied, "My mother adores you."

"Your father more than makes up for it. He barely let me through the door yesterday. He thinks I'm no good." Regulus closed his eyes.
Looking over at him, Esme revealed a small smile, "The only person he likes is my mother. I wouldn't worry about it."
"I can't help worrying about it. He's very protective of you and Ignatius and that doesn't bode well for me."

Esme picked a raspberry out of the bowl, rolling it between her thumb and forefinger for a moment before carefully taking aim and flicking it at the boy.

"Ow! What was that?"
"Did a bird poo on you?"
"WHAT?"
"It's the only explanation."
"DEAR LORD!"

Regulus leapt upwards, frantically running his hands through his hair and over his face as he tried to work out what had just hit him.
"I don't understand! What happened?" He looked down at his hands - perfectly clean.

All of a sudden, Esme burst out laughing. She clapped her hands over her mouth in sheer glee as Regulus slowly calmed down. He turned to the hysterical girl, who was struggling to control her breathing, and the biggest smile emerged on his lips as she continued to giggle - tears emerging in her eyes from the laughter.

It was the first time Esme had actually laughed since the initiation ceremony and Regulus was over the moon to see her so freely happy again.

Then he looked down and saw a flattened raspberry at his feet, and finally put the pieces together.
"Esme." He picked up the bruised fruit, "I swear..."

"The look on your face!" She exclaimed, gradually calming down but with the grin still plastered across her face, "That was the best."

"I can't believe you." Regulus sighed, a little embarrassed about his overreaction, "It's a good thing I brought my broom." He muttered.
Esme laughed lightly, "Oh, are you going to fly away from me now?"
"Exactly." Regulus grinned, "And, if I don't get practicing for Quidditch, I'll be in major trouble with Talkalot."

She blinked, believing the boy was joking at first, and then when he stared blankly back at her she asked, "Talkalot?"
"Oh. She's the new Slytherin Quidditch captain. Lucinda Talkalot. She's nasty... In the year above, in Slytherin." He explained.

"Well of course she's in Slytherin. It would make it pretty difficult for her to be your captain otherwise." Esme smirked.
"All right, smart arse."

Esme rocked back on her hands and looked up at Regulus as he tucked his broom under his arm, "Why have you never tried out for Captain? I think you'd be great."
"You don't know anything about Quidditch. You don't even like it."
"Doesn't mean I don't know what makes good leadership." She argued.

"Honestly..." Regulus pulled on his gloves, "I've never really been one for leadership positions and teamwork. I prefer doing things on my own, hence the Seeker position."