Chapter Fifty

Despite all of the talk of the Dark Lord and a wizarding war, Esme was grateful to be back home for the Christmas holidays

Though she was most grateful that, now she was seventeen and had passed her apparition exam, she could see Regulus as much as she pleased.

That's why it was little surprise that during the first weekend of the holidays, Regulus and Esme were sat together in the kitchen of her home.
They sat quite peacefully, each reading on their own as they sat opposite each other at the table. Although this was quickly disturbed.

"I love you."

Regulus choked, holding one hand over his mouth to stop from spraying hot tea everywhere. Once he'd managed to get his breath back, he looked across at Esme who had picked her book back up and was continuing to read it as if nothing had happened.

"Do you realise what you just said?"
She looked over at him, "Sorry, what?"

"Those-those three words you just said to me." Regulus frowned, thinking perhaps he had just imagined it.

"Oh, sorry was I mumbling?" She looked sincerely at him, "I love you."
And just like that she turned back to her book.

"Are you talking to a character from the story?" He asked.
She scoffed, "Don't be stupid, Regulus. Why would I love a fictional person?"

"There you go again!"
"What?"
"You're not drunk are you? Has someone put the imperious curse on you?"
"Shut up."

"Let me get this straight-"
Esme groaned, shutting her book and looking Regulus in the eye as she told him, for the third time, "I said I love you."

"I-wow... Ditto."

She raised an eyebrow and titled her head to the side, "Ditto?"

"No! That's not what I meant!" Regulus exclaimed suddenly, realising how his words had been interpreted.
Esme leant back in her seat and folded her arms, "You didn't mean ditto? So you mean you don't reciprocate?"

"What?" Regulus' face fell. How had this gone so wrong, so fast for him?

"Esme, sorry, of course I love you." He blurted out, and relief washed over him as Esme's shoulders relaxed down and she smiled at him.

"Thanks."

Regulus was stunned. He almost felt like he'd been hit over the head with a frying pan.
He watched as Esme turned back to her book, continuing to read it as if nothing had happened.

Had anything happened?
Regulus started to think perhaps he'd hallucinated the whole conversation.

"Out of mere curiosity... Why now?" He asked with a small smile.
"Why not?"
He laughed, "Fair enough."

"So... Why now?" Esme asked Regulus, putting down her open book and staring at him.
He frowned, "Why now what?"

"Why say that? Why do you love me?"
"Is this a trap?"