Chapter Thirty One

Esme rubbed her eyes tiredly, full aware of how disheveled she must have looked. Despite trying to put all of her time and energy into having fun with Regulus, she couldn't stop the incessant bombardment of worrisome thoughts. Every night, she would lie awake for hours, fretting over not just her future, but also those of Regulus and everyone else she cared for.

"You keep getting up later and later. So much for being an early bird." Dirk chuckled lightly as she sat down opposite him, "Is the stress of the OWLs getting to you?"
"Something like that." She mumbled.

"Paper."

Esme propped her elbows up on the table, holding her head in her hands as she let out a long sigh. She couldn't possibly keep juggling everything - let alone productively come up with any solutions to any of her numerous problems.

"Avery!"

She gasped, jerking upwards at the sudden sound and sigh with irritation when she saw it was only Dirk again. "Can I help you?"
"You tuned out for nearly five minutes there." Dirk frowned, suspicious, "I was asking if I could read your copy of the Daily Prophet."

"Oh, of course. Help yourself." She mumbled before tiredly resting her head back down on the table, holding her hands over her ears in an attempt to block out the sound of student chatter. Then, a loud clatter.
Cutlery struck plate, and landed sharply on the floor.

"Cresswell, are you trying to annoy-" Esme froze when she looked up.
Dirk was a ghostly shade of pale, clutching the newspaper so tightly his knuckles had turned white to match his face. He showed no sign of movement at all and she instantly knew something was wrong.

"Cresswell?"
No response.
"Cresswell."
Nothing.
"Dirk!"

Slowly, Dirk dragged his eyes up from focusing on the headline to look directly at Esme. His expression was unreadable as he stared, unwavering.

"Show me." She insisted, reaching out for the newspaper. A couple of nearby students turned to watch the two, uncertain of the situation which was unfolding.
Esme caught sight of a third year ago had turned in the seat to stare at her, as he sat on the table behind Dirk. "You better be looking for someone sat behind me, because your nose sure as hell isn't in this newspaper. Get back to your toast." She snapped, causing the younger student to yelp and quickly spin around in his seat.

Tentatively, with a shaking hand, Dirk outstretched his hand and passed the Daily Prophet over to Esme. She took it quickly, straightening out the front cover and scanning over the front page article.

"I-I need to go. I've... A letter... I need to write a letter." Dirk stammered suddenly, quickly rising to his feet and clambering out from the bench. He looked back, staring at the newspaper for a moment before letting out a shaky sigh and striding swiftly out of the Great Hall - leaving his bag behind.

There it was.

Muggle Town Tamworth Hit By Brutal Death Eater Attack. Castle Fire Killed Two Wizards, With One Witch Still Missing. Muggle Families Under Growing Threat.

Esme knew... It wasn't just any muggle town. Tamworth was where Dirk lived. It was where he had grown up and where his parents still lived and worked. His family would be alive (they were all muggles) but they definitely weren't safe.
Anger surged up within, boiling over as Esme slammed the paper down on the table, startling some nearby students.

Without thinking, she shot to her feet, slinging her bag over her shoulder and picking up Dirk's too, not forgetting to bring the paper with her.
She could barely contain the rage that was threatening to spill from her lips.

Unluckily, Regulus Black would be the first person to step across her path.

"Esme! Good morning." He waved with a warm smile as he caught sight of the girl storming down the corridor towards him. He frowned, noticing her cold expression and dark eyes, "Why do you have Dirk's bag? Is something wr-"