Chapter Twenty

He stared at the cabin Darcy was in, cursing his bad luck. He had finally found it, watched as Maddox Reece and Elijah Moore pull up the driveway through the trees.

He had gotten overly excited once he saw them exit the car that he fired his gun and hit Elijah in the leg without thinking his plan through. He had wanted to sneak up behind them and slit their necks with his knife, do it silently so he could sneak into the cabin and bring Darcy back with him where she belonged.

He had to catch himself from running over to her when she had come racing out of the cabin to work on Elijah, knew that if he got close enough without being prepared that Maddox Reece would wipe the floor with him.

He wiped the sweat off of his forehead and strained to see into the windows, the lights out inside the cabin to make it more difficult for him to locate where anyone was.

Movement at the front door drew his attention away from the windows. Lylah Howard stepped outside and ran to the car, looking over both shoulders before opening the passenger side door and digging through what looked like plastic bags from the grocery store.

He made his way silently through the trees, getting close enough to see the black roots peeking through Lylah's dyed red hair. He slipped the gun from the waistband of his pants and darted forward, pressing the mussel of the gun against her temple.

"You're going to help me get your sister back, Lylah. Away from all of these unsavory people and to me, where she belongs," he whispered into her ear, grabbing a handful of her hair and yanking her body back against his.

"And I swear to God, you make a noise to alert the people inside of the cabin and I'll blow your fucking brains all over the side of this car."