five

5

Proud starts to undersell it when I'm subjected to three hours of body therapy

Proud starts to undersell it when I'm subjected to three hours of body therapy. I was so close to being a complete lost cause-wait, I was a lost cause already-that prepping me for tonight's date was almost a challenge unconquerable, according to Eunji.

In the end, she ... conquered, pushed me in front of a mirror to assess her work, and absent-mindedly indulged self-approbation. My brows dip in her direction as I eye her in the mirror.

"You're too harsh," I say, pouting.

"Oh, hush," Eunji says flippantly. She stands to her full length from picking out a stray thread on the sleeve of my new gown. "Green is most definitely you."

Well, I can't deny that. And if I had fake green contacts, I'm golden for tonight, but that coming from a major fash-hole as my humble self can only mean I've made a fashion faux pas just by having such lucid thoughts.

The colour of the outfit might be the only thing I feel comfortable with at this point because the dress just doesn't do it for me.

"I don't know," I say skeptically, turning a bit to the side to scrutinize the rest of it. "Just doesn't seem to hit the nail on the head."

I hear a snort, it's from Eunji. Her eyes glitter with contained laughter and she picks up the curling iron.

"Missed a spot." She doesn't anticipate an answer from me before she turns my head, rather harshly if I do say so myself, to fix that which is not right in her sight. She raises her head and peers at my virtual image. "Besides, I know you. Your definition of nail in the coffin, or whatever you just said, are pants. The only thing I let you slip those freshly waxed legs into are your grandma undies which wouldn't be my choice if I saw when you put them on. Let's just hope Yunho doesn't get any ideas tonight. Done is your middle name."

"Leave my undergarments out of this."

"Finally, that pretty face is bringing in the market. You don't expect Yunho to stay if you wear your mom's hand-me-downs," she argues. "Heck, even Mrs. L has got better taste than that."

First, I'm not allowed to wear pants, next I'm getting chastised for wearing comfortable underwear. I don't have to put up with this, I know, yet the thought of just getting up and leaving whilst she holds hot iron to my head glues me to my seat.

"We're going shopping tomorrow." Eunji feels the need to add when I don't retort. She considers it unusual and the impromptu declaration of shopping is in order to get a reaction out of me.

A breath escapes my nostrils; I proceed with the silent treatment, because I decide my friend is not worth a single repartee any longer. And thanks to her, I'm already tired before I get to see Yunho.

"Say something, Yoon."

Jungha bursting through the room door disturbs the silence that would've been since I still choose to act mute.