Aftermath 3/4

PETER

"Hey, kid, I brought you flowers," Tony said in confusion as he entered Peter's room. Peter looked up from the biology book and gave him a puzzled look before noticing the white lilies  Tony was holding. "They were down at the reception, the other bouquet of gerberas that was for Pepper was taken to her office by her assistant. Everything okay, Pete?"

"Oh, yeah, these are for May. When I ordered them, I realized that I had never just given her flowers. Or I didn't tell her how much I appreciate everything she's doing for me. I thought I should do better with Pep," he explained.

"I'm sure she knew you appreciated her," Tony said gently.

"Are you free now? I'd like to visit her."

"Of course, kid. I'll meet you in the garage in five minutes."

"May, are you all right?"

"Oh, Pete, no, I'm not. But I will, and you too."

"How? I miss him so much."

"I know, me too, but we will be better. It just takes time. Ben will keep an eye on us from above. "

"Shall I go with you?" Tony asked as he parked at the cemetery.

"I'd go alone if it's not a problem," he murmured.

"Of course not. Take as much time as you need. I'll wait here," Tony said, handing him the flowers. Peter gave him a little hint of a smile before getting out of the car and entering the cemetery grounds.

It took him a moment to remember where the tomb of May was, for which he was immediately ashamed. He was only there for the funeral, and that was three weeks ago. Peter knew he couldn't stay home forever and that it was time for him to go back to school.

"Pete, I know it's hard and I hate it, but I think you should try to go to school. You're so happy there and if they take your scholarship, we won't be able to afford it," May said gently, sitting down on the edge of his bed.

"That's terrible," he murmured.

"I know honey. I called them and they know what happened, but I don't know how long they will be willing to tolerate your absence..." she sighed.

"I'll go on Monday," he said, then snuggled to her.

"I'm finally here," he began as he laid the lilies on the floor beside the gravestone. "It's been three weeks and overtime I try to be somehow functional. Everything's arranged with the school, Tony apparently offered them money if they leave me there and give my deserved time to mourn, and you know what? Probably for the first time I don't mind that he is spending money on me. When Ben died, I had to go back to school relatively early to avoid losing my scholarship, and the truth was that I needed more time to deal with it."

"Oh my God, I overslept!" May yelped as she ran out of her room.

"Calm down, May, you have a shift from eleven!"

"But I didn't make you breakfast!"

"Well, I really appreciate your efforts, but we both know very well that you can't cook. So I tried it today and voila! Your cooking skills have not been touched by me and I will probably be a chef," he joked and placed a plate full of pancakes on the table.

"I really don't know what to say. Tony and Pepper are amazing, but we're all pretty sad now. I miss you so much. You've always been here, and I never thought you'd disappear one day as the others did. Tony tried to hide his emotions, you know him, but it took him. That shows how unique you were. As one of the few people, you have gained a place in the heart of Tony Stark. I was very bad. I was just moving out of bed on the couch where Pepper, who mourned you a lot too, was cuddling with me all day. You know I love her, and although I felt safe in her embrace, it wasn't the embrace I wanted. It wasn't a hug from you."

"Okay, okay, I understand, she's amazing," May laughed when Peter didn't close his mouth for a second and only talked about Pepper Potts for few days.

"She's really, but don't worry, you're just as amazing as she is," he said with a smile.

"You bet I am."

"Love you, auntie May," he said, giving her a hug.

"Love you too, Petey-pie."

"I'm trying to cope with it and I think I'm doing quite well. I do not mean that I forget you, or that your loss hurt a little less. It's still very hard, but the fact that I still have Tony and Pepper helps. If I were alone, I don't know if I could handle it. I don't want this to be our goodbye. Let's say this is 'see you later'. I hope to see you again someday. You, Ben and my parents. Don't worry, I'm not planning any bullshit. I'm going to live a long life. Now I guess I'll go, Tony's waiting for me and I don't want him to have to wait long. But I promise to be back soon."

"What will happen to me?" he asked so softly that he wasn't even sure May had heard it.

"I spoke to Pepper. She's your legal guardian now. You'll be fine."

"How could I be fine without you?" he sobbed.

"Pete, you know I'm right," she said gently.

"I don't want you to go. Please don't go."

"I'm so sorry, honey. You know I love you more than anything."

"I love you too, so please don't go."

"I know it's not fair, but you're strong. You can do it."

"You will be all right?"

"I hope so. At least I'll see Ben again."

"Tell them I love them very much. And I'm fine."

"I will."