CHAPTER 1

I jerked awake, expecting to be inside a cave. My heart beat a million times faster and the need to scream out for help enveloped me. The only reason I closed my mouth at the last second was because I recognized the fluffy blanket around me. It took several breaths before my hands stopped shaking. Drips of sweat ran down my spine, causing me to shiver.

I rested my head back on the pillow and closed my eyes. Maybe falling back to sleep would fix the terrible headache I was nursing. However, it wasn't like it was something new. I was used to it by now.

I heard voices coming from outside my door and I got prepared for someone to enter my room. The doorknob slightly turned and my parents barged in without knocking, as usual.

"Rise and shine, sunshine!" My dad, Trevor Clark, sang off tune and I laughed.

To other people, it may seem like a bad way to start the day but to me hearing my dad's awful voice was the best way to wake up.

"Hey, daddy." I got out of bed and hugged him as he kissed my head.

"What? There isn't a morning hug for me?" My mum, Trudy Clark, faked being angry and I gave her a big hug. "Hey, honey, are you okay?" She touched my forehead and frowned.

"Oh no, I don't like that face," my dad said looking at my mum and repeated her action. "Well, you're a bit warmer than usual. You getting sick, kiddo?"

"No, no. I am fine. Don't worry about me."

I didn't want to tell them that I was indeed feeling terrible because that would just trouble their conscience. So, I put on a brave face and smiled.

"You sure?" They both sounded concerned.

"I'm great. Now go. I know it's Saturday and you have to be early for work."

They both left after they had made me promise I would call them if I wasn't feeling well. That wasn't going to happen but they felt better after I had promised them.

Like I mentioned this wasn't something new. It was an everyday thing so I wasn't worried. After waking up like this, I usually didn't feel so well and it took me about an hour to get back to my usual self. I had been having these kinds of dreams since the day I turned seven. I could still remember that day very clearly like it was yesterday.

It happened ten years ago on the day of my birthday. It was Friday and Ι was alone at home, waiting for my parents to come back. I could still remember every little detail of that day.

I was about to watch some TV when I realized something wasn't right. I recalled smelling something burning and decided to check it out. The sizzling noise entering my ears made me aware that something was wrong before I had even walked into the living room.

A fire. The wild flames danced before me and I could only stare at them. And yet, in spite of the chaos in front of me, calmness was all I could feel. In fact, the warmness coming from the flames called to me and I almost reached out to touch them. I didn't even worry about the possibility of the house burning in flames or that I could die. I just allowed myself to feel the contentment of the moment. It just felt right.

That was the last thing I could remember. I must have fainted a little later, probably from the smoke, and woke up the next day on my bed. The weird thing was that when I went to the living room, it seemed as if nothing had happened. And when I asked my parents about the fire, they asked me if I was hallucinating. What was weird was that there was a real fire in our living room during the following week. My parents told me the cause was a malfunction on the television cables but I still found it strange.

I was even more confused when one week later I experienced another similar situation. I was so sure I had witnessed something happening but no one else could confirm it. I panicked at first but after the fifth time, I realized that it was normal. Well, at least it was normal for me. I came to the conclusion that these dreams were caused by the anxiety and pressure I was going through.