CHAPTER 13

By the time we finished the first lesson, my brain was overflowing with knowledge about the five different dimensions. According to Holden, earth was one of those dimensions, whose name was Manavata. This used to be a place solely for humans but now all kinds of living creatures live here.

The other four were a little complex. Each one represented one of the four abilities of the users. There was the Ledus, the land of ice, Rikuto, where earth users ruled and Nephele, the dimension of air. In each land other supernatural creatures lived based on what temperature they were most comfortable with. Werewolves, for example, resided in the Ledus empire.

A huge difference between this dimension and the others was that they didn't have electricity or any other kind of power. They used magical power instead and, as Holden said, their cities were more advanced than the places here because of that. I couldn't exactly picture what he meant but I could still understand they were incredible.

I wouldn't have found out about the fifth dimension hadn't I noticed that Holden had spoken only about four. As it turned out the fifth one was called Aedan, the empire of fire. It used to be a very powerful force but, eighteen years ago, it was destroyed by a huge fire in just a few hours. No one was still sure how it happened but the predominant opinion was that the king went mad and released his full powers upon his own kingdom. Many also said that a group of witches turned a few strong fire users against their own race and together they turned the dimension to ashes. Quite tragic, if you asked me. Being destroyed by their own power.

Just like that, all fire users disappeared and now there were basically three types of users.

Each user could have only one ability and, if there were blessed enough, they could be gifted with a special talent. Just like I had my visions and Holden the teleportation. It was rare to have a gift but could happen to anyone.

"Holden, that night when you found me in the woods, who was that dead man?" I asked him sometime during our lesson. I had told him previously that I remembered what had happened and now I wanted answers.

"He was the master of an umbra that killed five people back home. He came here thinking he could escape. We were informed of this and Alaric was left to deal with it. But somewhere along the way you got involved and he called me to handle you."

"Do you usually kill people like that?" I muttered as I shifted in my seat. He clear his voice and avoided any eye contact.

"We try to steer clear of taking someone's life away. We give them a choice, to repent or to die fighting for what's wrong. Some change their mind while others are foolish enough to keep their stupid beliefs. The latter have to pay the price," he whispered before he shook his head and changed the subject.

By the time we covered the basics, it was already time for school. I went back to my house with Holden. When we saw my parents, his eyes turned brighter for two seconds. Then my parents smiled at us and asked me how the sleepover went. I raised my brow at him and he shrugged. It would take a while to get over the fact that I could get away without punishment from my parents. I dressed quickly for school and accepted Holden's offer to drive me to school.

"Okay, now listen to me," Holden explained as we got out of the car. "There are other supernaturals here but they don't know about you yet. So, as long as you act casually and like nothing has change, they won't know a thing."

"Who else isn't human?" He looked around carefully and lowered his voice.

"The ones that you probably know are Veronica and Marissa. There are also some in our classes and well, all the others you saw at my house." He thought about it for a second. "I know at least twenty more of us but I don't think you know any of them."