CHAPTER 23

This Phoenix was a little different from Hepheos. Not only was its color grey but its eyes weren't bright and instead had a melancholic black hue. It made it seem older even though I wasn't sure these creatures even had a certain age.

Holden took a step forwards but the creature backed away until its legs reached the water and got wet. I placed a hand on his chest and slightly pushed him back. He understood the message and retreated while I took his place. I walked closer to the Phoenix and stopped in the middle, waiting for it to make the next move. It indeed flew closer to me but stopped and stared intensely at my friends.

"Take a step back, you guys," I commanded. They didn't raise any questions at my order. "It's okay," I encouraged it to come forth and it did.

Once it was one step away from me, it lowered his head. In return, I reached out and patted its feathered head. I looked back to the guys and saw their blank expressions. I turned back to the Phoenix and rubbed his head as I encouraged it to stand tall.

Something scratched my right cheek as I saw an arrow flying back me and sinking into the Phoenix. It let out a horrible cry and instantly removed the weapon with its beak and crashed it into tiny pieces. I got up as I turned around to face our attacker. The guys had now moved in front of me, guarding and shielding me, but I could still see the enemy. He or she wore a large black cloak which managed to cover their whole body.

Holden snapped his fingers and waited for something to happen. We all looked at him in confusion. "They must have a lapis," he muttered.

"That also means they're powerless unless they are a kind of shifter" Alaric grumbled as he stretched his neck.

Our enemy held out a metal crossbow and unleashed another arrow, this time. The three werewolves jumped out of its range. Holden caught me by the waist and rolled me to the ground while the Phoenix simply opened its wings and flew back. The arrow flew past us and landed on the sand before exploding.

Holden cursed beside me, his eyes pinned where the weapon exploded, as he mumbled, "the arrows must be enchanted."

From where I was standing, I saw Alaric, followed by the two guys, shifting and letting their wolves take control. They bared their teeth at the figure and launched at them.

"How come they can transform even though there is a lapis here?" I observed.

"The stones doesn't work on shifters, remember?" he answered as he slowly rose to his feet.

I was transfixed by the fight. I stayed down at the cold sand as I looked at the wolves chasing the enemy. I could hear their loud growls and even felt the vibrations of the noise affecting me. Holden was trying to sneak up on the attacker with a knife; I wasn't sure where he found it. He silently walked behind them as the wolves kept the attacker busy.

I saw him take the same position he had taught me when I wanted to attack with that weapon and I was ready to see him injury them. That's when our enemy raised their curled-up first and opened it, letting a round object fall to the sand. It didn't take long to realize it was a grenade powered up by a spell.

The purple flash lightened up the sky as it sent my friends flying. The wolves fell to the ground and their bodies shook violently while Holden kept jerking. Their bodies shone purplishly and I knew they were still under the grenade's spell's control. I hoped that it was only temporary.

I watched in horror as the cloaked figure aimed their crossbow towards Holden. I had to do something. If the arrow hit Holden, which certainly would, he could die, just like that. As the tip of the arrow flashed under the moonlight, I became aware of how bad things would play out if I didn't act now.