FIVE

Two weeks had passed since Emmett had found me in the woods. I had begun to pick certain things up when we hung out, which was often at that point. I confronted him when he picked me up for school as I didn't have a car. I asked if we could be alone that morning as I didn't want to spill my mind to his siblings.

I swung into the Jeep using the handle thing on the side of the door and then crossed my legs and faced him while he drove. "What did you want to talk about?" He asked.

"You're hiding something and I've almost nailed it down," I boasted.

"Sure you have," he sounded disbelieving.

"At first it wasn't logical at all to me. Then I started to think about earlier novels, the ones that first depicted what I came up with. Those subjects had to have been real, otherwise, where would the stories come from?" I asked.

"Annora, please don't," he sighed.

"You know that once I have a thought I can't push it to the side," I pointed out.

"Why in the car? Why alone?" He questioned.

"I just came from my house, my dad knows you're taking me to school, I'm on my way to school. If something happens to me, they'll know who to look for first," I replied.

"You're too smart for your own good," he sighed again.

"Can I guess now?"

"Fine."

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"I'll be uncomfortable if you don't tell me."

"Fine, which first- reasoning or assumption?"

"Reasoning and then the assumption."

"All right. I don't see you on sunny days, I have never seen you eat, you looked like you were in pain the day we met. You're really cold, unnaturally cold. You were in the woods when I got struck and I know you don't have a dog because I never see fur on you and don't even try the lint roller excuse because I would still see evidence," I explained.

"Assumption?"

"Don't laugh."

"I won't."

"Vampire," I said in a clear tone of voice as I looked straight at him.

He pulled off on the side of the road. "Annora, you can't tell a soul."

"So I'm right?" I asked.

He nodded, "Do you need me to drop you off somewhere? I understand if you're afraid."

"I'm not," I responded and continued to look at him.

"Do you have any questions?" He asked.

"Is there a way to get us both out of school for the day?"

He nodded and phoned in, his excuse was that we were doing community service and that we would bring signed forms in tomorrow morning excusing us from lectures. I believed that he would have had that part taken care of.

He turned the car around and started heading for a different part of town, "How are you not worried?"

"How would you be able to tell?" I asked.

"Your heart beat is still the same as before you got into the car," he pointed out.

"Remember, I don't feel anything. I process, analyse, and move on. I'm not a psychopath, I feel certain emotions, fear just isn't one of them," I answered.

"I'm dangerous for you, I'm not safe for you to be around," he looked down and mumbled.

"I believe that that idea has been installed in your thought process by past experiences. However, I know that you are not a dangerous person. You're adventurous and energised, but not dangerous," I responded.

"How could you know that? How could you be so confident that I won't accidentally reach out to point to something and bruise you? How could you be so confident that my nature won't overcome my decision making and destroy you?" He grew frustrated.

"Emmett?" I asked calmly.

"What?" He snapped.

"Relax, take your hands off of the steering wheel, and breathe," I instructed as we had pulled off on the side of the road in front of what I assumed was his home. He did as I had asked of him. "You are a very careful and graceful person. When you move, you do so with intricacy and caution. The likelihood of you actually injuring me is very slim, I'm not concerned about it.

"As for your nature, 'A lion's work hours are only when he's hungry. Once he's satisfied, the predator and prey lie peacefully together,' Chuck Jones. You're not always hungry, it's just not logical. I'm assuming you take care of your hunger when you need to, therefore I'm not truly in any danger," I explained.

He looked shocked, "You've only known about me for ten minutes, how have you come up with those rationals?"

"Darling, I can't keep explaining myself when that happens. Just know that it's how my brain is wired," I shrugged.

He nodded and sighed, "Would you like to come inside?"

"Is the rest of your family like you?" I questioned.

"Yes," he answered.

"Okay, yeah, that'd be great," I undid my seatbelt but hissed in pain as I reached for the door with my injured arm.

"Are you all right?" Emmett sounded panicked.

"Yeah, I just forgot that my arm is still messed up," I rolled my shoulder and used my other arm to help myself out of the car.

I was still in my classic sweats and tank top combination, so my bruising and scar were rather visible. Emmett led me up the first few stairs and I kicked my flip flops off at the front door so that I didn't track dirt into the house. He led me up another staircase and we came to face two other people, one of whom I had already recognised.

"She figured it out in the car this morning and I'm honestly not even sure how," he explained.

"I'm Esme," the woman came up to me with her arms open and wrapped me in a hug.

"I'm Annora," I smiled and returned the gesture while minding my arm.

"What happened here?" She asked in reference to my injury.

"I was struck by lightning," I smirked and laughed lightly.

"How are you feeling now?" Doctor Cullen asked me.

"Pretty much the same. Of course, my arm hurts but it's fine," I answered.

"I could write you a prescription if you'd like," he smiled.

"Thank you, but I'm fine. I have this thing with medication, but it's a long story," I replied.

"I understand," he smiled again, "Call me Carlisle."

I nodded and turned to Emmett.

"Would you like to come upstairs?" He asked.

"I'd love that," I nodded and turned to his parents. "It was nice meeting the both of you," I smiled at them.

"It was nice meeting you, too," they said in unison before Emmett led me up another staircase and down a hallway to his room.