[ 33 ]

Inaya's POV

"How are you getting home?" Caterina asks as the party comes to an end.

"I stole Dominic's car keys. I'm driving myself home." I state.

"Haha, funny. Should I drop you off?" She offers.

I dangle the keys of the Rolls Royce in front of Caterina and her eyes widen.

"Oh my God, my sweet princess! Having you amongst us is making you tougher." She laughs.

"I didn't steal it... I was given the keys. He's too drunk to drive. I'm the only one sober."

I didn't lie, I didn't steal the keys. I asked the valet for Dominic's car keys, they asked me for my full name and apparently, I'm authorized to take the keys.

So, that's exactly what I did. I took the keys.

Plus, he is drunk. There's no way I'm letting him drive anyone home, whether that's me or himself.

I'm pretty disappointed with tonight and how everything unfolded.

Caterina wishes me good night and tells me to text her the second I get home. I wave her goodbye before watching her disappear into her car.

The valet drives up Dominic's car to where I asked him to and hands over the keys.

"Enjoy your night, ma'am." He says. There was a look in his eyes; the one where he didn't understand why anyone like me would associate myself with the crowd that was here tonight.

It's a good question. I don't know how I winded up here either.

"Thank you." I smile and he walks away.

I look down at my dress and the reflection of myself on the car door.

Even though I don't want to admit it, a part of me knows that I didn't only dress up for myself but I dressed up for him. I wanted him to see me as... beautiful.

He's always around such perfect women, I can never compete and I never should have tried. But I was selfish for once, for myself, and this is what the result was.

Heartache.

Maybe I was too harsh on him... but I know deep down inside that I wasn't harsh enough. He really goes around acting like such a jerk and gets away with it.

Why can't he take my feelings into account? Why can't he just let me be? Maybe there's a chance he understood what I tried saying tonight.

I'm honestly confessing this, I can't take one more bit of this heartache. I can't see him with another woman. I don't care how selfish this seems, considering that he's nowhere near mine. But I think I'll fall apart if I see him with... I shake the thoughts out of my head.

I get in the car and realize something, the fanciest car I've ever driven was a Mercedes Benz... This is a whole different world.

I look around to make myself comfortable with the pedals, gears, seat settings.

"I can't get comfortable! This is too much anxiety!" I sigh out of frustration.

Then, I think about how Dominic might get home.

"Don't think about him, don't think about him, don't think about—damn it!" I get out of the car and quickly catch up to the valet who gave me my keys.

"Have you seen Dominic Belcastro? I have to drop him off but my phone died so I can't contact him." I lie.

He nods. "He's a little rough, almost passed out on the couch near the entrance."