1. Famigila

'Gabiela! I swear to God you little shit get out of bed before I come and get you myself' a voice yells into my disrupting me from my perfect dream

'Gabiela! I swear to God you little shit get out of bed before I come and get you myself' a voice yells into my disrupting me from my perfect dream. Mom seems like she's in a bad mood today, no surprise there. 

I quickly get dressed and run out the flat heading to school. I flicker my gaze onto Mom for a moment, her laid out on the carpet with a fresh needle in her arm. You never quite get used to the sight, that's meant to be your mother but you're the one who has to be responsible. Despite this hard exterior I've built of myself, I can't look too long. I know this is my fault, the way she is. 

 I instead distract myself with the thought of school. I love school, I know it's weird but I get this weird rush of excitement. There I'm not just normal, I'm perfect and I crave that acceptance. Everyone looking at me and wishing they had my life, that they looked like me. I swear you get addicted to that feeling. Once I arrived it was just a normal day. I was in the canteen laughing at a meme on one of my friend's phone when the intercom ran out.

'Miss Cattaneo to the office please' 

I could feel everybody looking at me wondering what on earth was going on. I was known for creating a perfect image for myself and everybody loved me for it. I was the most popular girl in the school, but I felt like nobody knew me. Well, not the real me anyway. I gathered up my stuff and headed to the office. The receptionist gave me a somewhat sympathetic look as I knocked on the headmasters office. I could feel that small bit of anxiety growing, but before it could escape I got called into the office.

'Come in' boomed the deep voice of the headmaster. I'd never met the headmaster on bad terms before and I wasn't going to start now.

'Hi' I confidently said giving him my best smile. He returned my smile but only half-heartily. I notice that he has an older man and woman in the room. The man stared at me intently whilst the woman gave me a soft smile. There was something familiar about this man, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. 

'Gabriela please sit' he instructs me, gesturing to the chair in front of him. 

'Miss Cattaneo I'm so sorry but your mother died today. She took an overdose and by the time they found her, it was too late.'

'My Mom died? My Mom? Valentina Cattaneo.' I frantically ask.

They all give a long slow nod. Only the headmaster and the woman look upset for me, the man looks like he's stifling his anger. 

I can't imagine what's going through their head, how did it happen? Was she always an addict? Is it my fault? Is Gabriela addicted as well? 

 Adults always think we can go to them for help, but the situation will always get a million times worse. 

The lady begins talking and introduces her self as a social worker 'It is the law for an minor to be given an guardian. Naturally, you need one as well. I'm sure you're aware of your father's death so the next parental figure isn't possible. However, your oldest brother Alessandro Cattaneo has agreed to take guardianship over you just as he has for your youngest brother Xavier Cattaneo and previously for the twins.'