Chapter 4: Harvest Day

The day had finally come, Harvest Day is not what most would think, because, well the word harvest is meant to resonate a feeling of happiness, of joy, of fruit. However, for Andy, the word only meant destruction and bitterness. She sighed as she packed, a task she purposely put off until now thirty minutes before the dreaded harvesting.

"I can't believe that you have now decided to pack" a clear calm voice echoed from behind her.

"That's because I'm not in agreement with this type of exchange, it's absolutely inhuman Mother" Andy responded while continuing to pack.

"You're going to be okay" her Mother replied.

"Why do I have to be submitted to this torture? Why am I being punished? What did I do to be condemned to death?" Andy questioned

"Oh Andy" Clara whispered, walking from the doorway towards her daughter. She too hated the system for the way it was, but there was nothing she could do. There was nothing anyone could do, this was the law. Clara gently rested her palms on Andy's shoulder, seeking to console her angry daughter only to have her hand automatically shoved away by Andy's scuff.

"Mother please" Andy sighed, shoving clothing into her bag.

"I am not the one to be upset with Andy!" Clara scolded a bit peeved at her daughter's attitude.

"Then whom am I allowed to be upset with Mother!" Andy shouted and spun around to look at her mother's face appalment.

"This whole situation is hurting me as much as it is hurting you" Clara cried "And you better watch your tone, I am still your mother!"

Andy sighed, rolled her eyes and returned to her packing, finally stuffing the last bit of unpressed garment into her ridiculously small carryon sized bag, much to her mother's dismay.

"Is that all you intend to carry" scolded Clara at her disgruntled daughter. "You can win this, I know you can. You need not be so stubborn is all" persisted Clara.

"Mother this isn't a game. What reward is there to gain? To be locked in a castle-like a prisoner? To be played with as a toy, to be a slave, whose only service is to satisfy the nasty perversions of the King's sexual desire?"

"Andy!" screamed Clara "I shouldn't have you. Many women would long for an opportunity as this, to be even chosen to be a candidate to become the Queen. Oh Andy, my dearest please listen to reason"

"Reason? What reason is this that I might die to fulfill the fantasy of the patriarchy?" shouted Andy with flushed face, perfectly matching her crimson hair. Her skin burned not even allowing the angry tears to roll on her cheek before quickly evaporating away.

She couldn't stand it anymore, her mother's words were meant to comfort but they only made her more furious. She wiped the stained tears from her cheeks and zipped her bag, picked it up and headed towards the door.

Clara grabbed Andy's forearm in earnest, barely able to stop the momentum of Andy's fury.

"Andy, you are beautiful. Perhaps the most beautiful ginger this land will ever see. The reincarnation of Aphrodite herself, please, for your Father's sake, be the woman you were created to be:" she pleaded.

"Oh Clara, I am already the woman I was meant to be".

Clara stood motionless as she watched the end of Andy's dress exit and the door slam shut behind her mulish child.

***

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Please share your comments, I would really appreciate your feedback. Hopefully you enjoyed reading!