Chapter 5: The Reaping

'Clonk Clonk' stumped the hoofs of the King's approaching horsemen. Andy sat on the bench at the front of the town hall. She stared at the hurrying horses and the knights that sat so proudly upon them bouncing their way towards the entrance of Allagi.

Andy clenched her bag. She wanted to kill those men, who did they think they were barging into the Providence like this. Why couldn't they just leave them alone? After all, Allagi was the smallest Providence in all the land of Anthropos. Almost insignificant, never considered, never visited not until now, not until the King needed something.

"There they are" Arvish stated pulling the pipe from his lips.

"This law.....it's stupid," Andy said keeping her gaze fixed on the galloping horsemen.

"Of course" responded Arvish.

"Father, I might never see you again. I might never see Allagi again" Andy clenched her fists.

"I know" Arvish sighed.

Andy turned to see her father's flooded face. His brazen beard soaked as he stared into the distance. Andy scuffed. She had never seen her Father cry before but she had no time to be shocked nor amused and she certainly knew that crying wasn't going to help her situation.

She knew that she was strong enough to fight them. There were only four of them after all. She had beaten more men than that by herself before. Suddenly she felt her father's heavy hand rest upon her shoulder. Then Andy felt her eyes begin to floor, she sniffled as to suck them up.

It was clear to Andy that she had to allow herself to be taken away. Fighting those men would only draw attention to their tiny little village, hidden amongst the trees. Even if she managed to kill these men, the monarchy would notice their missing knights and would come in to disturb the peacefulness that Allagi enjoyed. It might start again civil war because the King would discover, her father's anti-patriarchal leadership. They would discover that Arvish taught his daughter the art of slinging sword fighting, the King would most certainly have him put to death. Everything Arvish worked to build over the years would come crumbling down. It would have all been in vain. There was time for fighting, there would certainly come a time for war, a time to slice those knight's head clean off their necks. But alas, now was not that time.

Andy arose as the horsemen circled the center of their little town square.

"Andy" Arvish called and walked to look Andy in her eyes. He held her chin upward and put the next hand on her shoulder. "You listen to me" he spoke firmly "You are a fighter, you remember your training, you survive no matter what happens."

"I will Father" Andy replied.

Arvish kissed Andy on her forehead and sighed. Andy gave a weak smile and then turned her attention to the halted horsemen. One tall, skinny knight jumped off his horse and dusted off his armor. "Hear ye!" he shouted "People of this small peasant town" he chuckled. We have come on behalf of the King to harvest the fair virgin daughters of the noblemen for the King's taking. Who are the noblemen of this wretched town?"

"That be I " called Arvish.

"Alright" the knight responded "How many fair maidens have you for nobility for us today? Have them line up, with their luggage. We don't have all day and the way back is about a day's journey"

"We have only one maiden of nobility here is Allagi"

"One!" the skinny man laughed, joined by the other knights. "What kind of insufficient town is this? Where is this one maiden?"

"I am she" spoke Andy finally.

"Ah! Well aren't you a pretty thing, the King is going to have fun with you" the knights laughed. The skinny man walked to Andy.

"Let's go already, you said you hadn't all day" snapped Andy.

"She's feisty. I might just keep this one for myself. Add her to my collection of soul bearers" he smiled and circled around Andy.

"Are you done?" Andy responded, the knight leaned into Andy from behind and whispered into her ear. "You better keep quiet before I give you a little sample of things to come" he grabbed Andy's behind. Automatically Andy's fist meets his face. "You nasty pig!" Andy screamed.

"You bitch!" shouted the man as he held his bleedy nose.

"If you ever put your filthy hands on me again...." Andy's words were cut by a sword jammed on her neck.

"Andy!" Arvish shouted and was about to intervene but Clara's soft touch on her shoulder brought a clear perspective.

The other knight grabbed Andy's arms behind her back and locked chains on them.

"Get that stubborn bitch on the horse" commanded the broken nosed leader. One of the knights shoved Andy, pushing her into the dirt.

"Get up and walk, you stupid woman!" he should as he kicked her in the stomach.

Andy struggled to pick herself up, then suddenly one of the horsemen dragged her and threw her upon a horse like cargo.

Andy could hear the cries of her father as her eyes closed and the horses rode away. 

***

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Please share your comments, I would really appreciate your feedback. Hopefully you enjoyed reading!