VI. The end of a journey

Camp Toccoa, Georgia, third  week of April 1944

"6000, 7000,8000,9000, Yeah!" Skip, Christenson and Randleman yelled as Bill drunk a whole glass of beer "Ah yo, silver", they all yelled as Isabelle was watching them from where she was at the bar with two really drunk Toye and Luz.

"Cpl. Toye!" George slurred out drunkenly mocking Sobel, "There will be no leaning in my company. Are those dusty jump wings? How will you slay the Huns with dust on your jump wings?"
You couldn't stop the laugh that was rising from your stomach, Luz was really good with impressions, Joe took George from his collar and told him: "Just give me a drink, Luz" "Hell of an idea, Joe, do you want one too Doc.?" "Yeah, good idea." "There you two go" "Three miles up..." George started, "Three miles down" Isabelle and Toye finished toasting their glasses.

After half an hour Cln. Sink entered the room.
"Ten-hut!" Lipton yelled as all of of you stayed in the position of attention. "Well at ease paratroopers." Sink said. "Evening, sir!" all of you yelled.
"Parachute infantry is a new concept in military history. But the 506 will forge this new concept into victory."
"yes, sir!"
"I want you to know that I'm damn proud of every and each one of you. Now, you deserve the party", at that moment Grant came up and offered a beer at him.
"Thanks, Sgt. Grant" "Sir."
"So, I want you to have fun and remember our motto: Currahee!" and everyone yelled "Currahee!"

After two or three hours, the party finished and all of them returned to their barrack, most of them were drunk. Isabelle didn't like not having control over her action so she prefered staying sober. She knew that some days from now the whole company would've been deported to the place where they were going to fight, and she was scared, like everyone. But nobody ever let it show.
That night Richard kept an eye o her, you can never be too observant, he trusted her, he didn't trust the men surrounding her.

How could you blame him, a company of men who didn't have lot of "fun" in these past years, most of them drunk, he was so scared that something could've happened, but when he saw her helping Luz to the barrack and going to bed he was relieved, "Nothing happened" he thought, walking in the direction of his barrack. He felt something inside of him a sensation. "Why did she stay all the party wit, Luz, she could've stayed with anyone else...." contemplating all the possibilities, he didn't notice that he arrived at his barrack."It's nothing, probably she stayed so much with him because they are good friends plus they sleep in the same barrack". He tried to convince himself, but with no results. In the end, he finally fell asleep, still thinking about his arm around her shoulders.

Poor boy, he would've never said that not even to himself, but he was so jealous.

The military exercises they did before the departure didn't go really well, Sobel didn't have the nerve to manoeuvre the company. Every time he got them killed.
Isabelle was, as always, talking with Dick and Lew, she was in their barrack: "What are you gonna do?" Isabelle asked Richard, "Nothing just keep training the men", then a man entered, she had never seen him, "Am I disturbing?" He asked looking between Dick and you, "No no" the redhead men answered.
"Doc. Isabelle Cooper, Ltn. Lewis Nixon, this is Ltn. Harry Welsh, just in from the 82nd"
"Congratulations on the promotion." Isabelle said looking at him, "If you wanna call it that." the man answered. Then Nix started talking: "You'll learn him pretty quickly," he said gesturing towards Winters, Harry laughed and he continued " No flaws, vices or sense of humour..." at that Isabelle hit him on the head, "Ouch! It was a joke, Geez Doc." you hit him again, but this time on the shoulders, gesturing him to shut up because Dick started to speak.
"What's up?" he asked Welsh, "I'm hearing a lot of rumblings...", Lew intervened: "Sobel, we were just talking about that." "So he gets a little jumpy on the field," Harry said, "He gets jumpy and you get killed" Isabelle added, "that's nice" Lew laughed out.
"Listen if we discuss it, it should be among ourselves" "absolutely" Welsh answered just as Sobel entered the barrack.
"2nd platoon ready?" he asked looking between them trying to catch a glimpse of their conversation.  "Ready, sir", Richard replied looking ahead of him, not showing any proof of their previous discussion.
"Then get them in formation, we're moving out" "Yes, sir".

And like that the Company left Camp Toccoa Georgia, scared, preoccupied and excited at the same time for their future.