VII. For some it was a one way ride

Last week of April 1944, the journey

Easy company left Camp Toccoa, Georgia some hours ago, they were all ready to go wherever they were supposed to. You all arrived at a train station, Isabelle didn't get much sleep this past nights and Richard seemed to notice.

"Isabelle, are you ok? You seem tired," he asked while they were waiting for the train to arrive, Isabelle was seated on her bag, she rested her head on her arms, tired. "Yes, I'm fine, I haven't slept much this past days, I'm a little bit nervous you know."  "Maybe you should try to sleep while we travel" "yeah, I think I'm gonna do that, do you mind if I stay with you? I don't know if the guys will let me sleep" In another moment she would've never asked him something like that, but she just wanted to sleep, and knowing the effect he had on her she knew that she would be able to sleep near him. "yes, I don't mind".

So here she was, sleeping near him, she had her head resting on his shoulder, she was hugging his right harm, while he was writing something. Richard was on cloud nine, he was happy to have moments like this with her, it was difficult, especially these days to find tranquility and peace so when she was around he was able to relax completely. To feel at home again.

During the ride, Nixon came to him.
He seated right behind him with the flask of his favourite whiskey in his right hand, and he asked:
"Going my way?"
"Where the train takes me"
"Where's that?"
"I haven't a clue"
"Yeah, come on take a guess"
"Atlantic, Pacific?" Dick asked.
"Atlantic? I'm not the intelligence officer. As such, I know but if I told you I'd have to kill you"
"So don't tell me," Richard said as Nix stood up and sat in front of him, looking with amusement at the scene of his two best friends. He moved his gaze from the position Isabelle was to Dick's face and said:

"New York, Troopship, England.
We're invading Europe, my friend, Fortress Europa." Lew said offering his friends his flask.

"Since when do I drink" asked Winters, "If I thought you'd drink, I wouldn't offer it to you."; "Nix, what are you gonna do about that when we are into combat?" he asked preoccupied, looking in his friend's eyes. "Oh, I have every confidence in my scrouging abilities. And I have a case of vat 69 hidden in you footlocker" "Really?" "Oh, yeah."
Isabelle woke up, stretched out her arms and looked at Nixon, "Good morning sleephead" he said taking a sip from his flask. "Good morning"she  replied still sleepy.

The rest of the train ride was really enjoyable, the three friends started talking, then Welsh arrived and they continued.
After they were shipped, Isabelle had to find her cot, it was one of the most difficult things she has ever done, it was under Luz's and near Skip's one. She enjoyed the chats she had with her friends, at one point she found herself playing cards with Luz. You were winning when Toye's words caught your attention:
"Guys, I'm glad I'm going to Europe. Hitler gets one of this (he said referring to hos bayonet) across the windpipe. Roosevelt changes Thanksgiving to Joe Toye Day and pays me 1 000 $ a year for the rest of my life." You laughed but continued playing.
"What if they send us to North Africa?" some Pvt. asked, "My brother's there," Bill said. "He says it's hot"
"It's hot in Africa?" Luz asked, "Shut up" Bill answered.
"The point is" he continued, "It doesn't matter where we go. Once we get into combat, you trust only yourself and the man next to you."
She wasn't listening anymore, she had a good hand and she was celebrating her victory.
"That was just a lot of luck Isabelle"
"You call it Luck I call it cleverness."He started laughing, but then she heard something strange. "What's happening?" she asked Skip
"Ghonorrea called Sobel a jew, Liebgoot took offence cause he's a jew too."
"That's smart, fighting over Sobel" laughed Luz.
She just shrugged it off, knowing that it was going to end soon.

George Luz has never lost so much in his entire life, she was so good that he thought she was cheating.
"Damn you girl, now my honour is ruined." you just laughed at him. Next time remember whose the best" you winked.

That night you managed to fall asleep for one or two hours, but the snoring of the other Pvt. didn't help. Finally with the night ended also the Journey.

You dismounted from the ship and you were in England, you took another train and now, you were going to stay a week in Aldbourne, England.

It was going to be a hell of a week.