XII. It wasn't supposed to be like that

It was dreadful, waiting there, on a plane for the moment of your possible death, Isabelle stood there, staring at the floor, no prays, no imagines, no memories were helping her, the only thought in her head was the jump, but the thing that scared her the most was the after, how to find the right place, how to survive.

Absorbed in her thoughts time literally flew and before she could process loud noises of artillery were heard from earth, everybody was silent, waiting impatiently for the jump.
suddenly the light turned red all of them got up, she could hear the man behind her yell the ok's, "Three ok!" she shouted after controlling the man in front of her. They stood there for a moment, trying to stay balanced despite the terrible turbulence caused by the enemy's gunnery. They waited, and waited, it seemed like ages, but right after a pair of minutes the green signal appeared in front of them.
They all started jumping out of the plane, she was the fourth.
She heard the loud yell of her lieutenant "GO, GO; GO!" she didn't think much, she jumped.
The parachute opened, she started going down, her stomach was turning inside her body, the scene wasn't pleasing, hundreds of men in the air, with thousands of explosions and noises, her head was pounding.

She touched the floor, immediately she unfastens her parachute and started running for coverage, she hides into the woods, behind a tree.
Isabelle was breathing really fast, faster than normal, she had to stay calm; she needed to be prepared this was going to be her life for some time. She started breathing, trying to calm herself, it took her a moment but she was able to stop her lungs from hyperventilating.

Isabelle was a rather cunning and intelligent woman, she knew she wasn't in the right zone, causeway 2 Utah beach, there, she needed to go there, but first of all, she had to be secure from danger.
She controlled her equipment, after the jump she still had: all her medicines, all her plants, a knife, map and torch. That's all she needed.
Taking both the torch and the map, she controlled where she was and where to go. North, she had to go north, so she started walking carefully.

She continued walking in the woods despite there was a road near, she was alone she preferred staying under tree's cover. After a while, she heard a noise coming from east, she stopped, took her knife out and hide behind a tree, she waited, expecting any type of risk. She was prepared to defend herself, scared not ready nor willing to take a life away.

Luckily she heard two familiar voices whispering:
"We need to go North from now"
"Are you sure?"
A tear escaped her eye as she heard Lieb's voice speaking, she went out from her hiding, careful not to make many noises
"Flash" she whispered for them to hear "Thunder Liebgott answered.
"Oh thank God it's you!" Lieb said hugging her
"Oh, Isabelle is so good to see you," Webster told her hugging her too.
"I'm relieved to see you boys, but we need to go, we'll talk later. I saw the map, we need to go north, come with me, we'll go through the woods it's been covered, Lieb you go first, Web you behind me, I'll stay in the centre, pay attention where you walk."
"Yes, let's go" they both said.

Having them with her made her feel more secure, she had two weapons more than before, they were going to make it through she was sure.
They walked and walked, it seemed like they were traversing entire Europe, but as the first rays of sun started spreading on that place of death and loss, they finally arrived at the right zone.

There weren't many soldiers, not much they knew, it took a while, but the three of them were able to find some of Easy company.
There they were Luz, Skip, and Muck, as they saw them walking they were really happy. Luz sat up and went hugging Isabelle.
"Oh my, you're fine, I thought I would've never seen you again!"
"Oh, it takes more than that to kill me!" you said hugging back.

"Where are the others?" asked Lieb, "We don't know, the plane had to make us jump before time cause of the artillery and explosions, we were scattered on the land, right now we are the only one of Easy company in the entire zone." Skip replied.
"Ltn, Winters? Have you seen him" Isabelle asked Luz whispering "No doll, I found Skip and Muck and came here, but I'm sure he's ok, don't worry he'll come", his words didn't help, he hadn't arrived yet, he could've been dead, no, just the thought made her die inside, she had to concentrate on other things or she would break.

It took some strength to let out her voice, "And Eugene? Have you seen him?" "No, he was in the same aeroplane as Richard wasn't he?" "Yes, he was, maybe they are together." "Maybe". Your mind was starting to race, all the terrible things that you thought would've never happened suddenly so near and oppressive. You couldn't do anything, you couldn't go and search for him, all you could do was wait, and wait.

Isabelle waited and slowly, one by one some easy's men arrived, first Eugene and she hugged him as tight as possible, "I'm so happy to see you" "Me too, me too", they stayed like that for a moment, then she asked him "Have you seen Winters?", she again felt scared at his answer she didn't know what to imagine.
"No, unluckily I haven't, but our plane wasn't blown down, we were able to jump safely, I'm sure he's ok" she nodded, everybody was telling her that, but nobody could help her feel relieved.

After a while a known face came into view, his black beard helped her recognize him, she launched herself to him
"Lew I'm so happy you are ok"
"Oh, Hun I'm happy too to see I'm ok" they laughed still hugging each other, the sun was setting on the sky, lots of easy men arrived but Winters Gonorrhea, Malarkey, Lip and some other were nowhere to be seen.
They exchanged a look of preoccupation and he asked:
"Is he..."
"No"
"Have you heard anything?"
"Just that their jump was safe" she was trying to maintain her composure, she didn't want to break down in the middle of the war. She had to be strong.
"Don't worry he'll be fine" Nixon said hugging her hoping to calm herself but most importantly himself.

She was smoking, she didn't like to, but the thought of his body motionless, without the usual spark his eyes have, without his usual smile just empty made her heart sink and her eyes water. But she wanted to stay strong, she was going to be strong. She was taking the last cigarette of the packet when she heard Bill's voice, she turned her head and went to hug him, he hugged her back "Hey hey, it's good to see you" he said, " Bill are you ok, is everything fine?" She asked looking to see if there was any type of wound.
"No no everything fine Coop" she nodded and gave him a light punch on the shoulder. He went on telling her how he had to jump out of the plane when she saw something that caught her eyes, she saw a red spot, she turned her head and was met with an immobile Richard Winters.

He stood there his mouth open, he couldn't believe it she was really there alive, she hadn't doubted it for a moment, but it came to his mind that it was possible for her to not laugh, smile or even breath again, seeing her made his heart jump, his hand were shaking, he was nervous as a teenager on his first date.

A wave of happiness travelled through her body, from her feet to her head, her lips twisted up into a smile, her eyes shined of happiness and love, she wanted to feel him, sense his being, she started walking towards him, still dead in his truck. She walked, slowly, hoping that it wasn't just her imagination, hoping that it was real. She reached him, she, carefully as it could break, put her right hand on his cheek. He immediately melted, he took her hand in his, kissed her palm slowly and hugged her.
She drowned in his touch, around them was nothing. She wanted it to last an eternity, but he had to go.

"Listen, I need to talk to you, but before I have to go speak with the Captain," he said separating himself from her touch.
She nodded, resisting the urge of crying.

So he left her there and started walking away.

He was ready, he was going to tell her how he felt, Richard had feared for her life so much during that night. He thought that he was going o regret not telling her soon for all his life. But he wasn't going to regret anymore.