Ch.22

The sound of a constant beeping is what woke up Adeline. She groaned in annoyance and she slowly opened her eyes and tried to adjust to the bright sun shining on her. As she tried to sit herself up she froze when she realized all the wires connected to her. All the monitors surrounding. The dozens of get well cards and bouquets of flowers. She looked around and realized she was in the hospital still. In fact, she was in a patient's room.

"What the hell." She muttered, as she trued to rip off all the wires that were on her. Soon, the HR monitor just went flat.

Then door bursted opened and a frantic nurse came rushing to her side.

"No. No. No! Dr.Fox! You shouldn't do that! Oh my gosh! I thought You flat-lined on me!" The nurse said, as she quickly placed the electrodes back on Adeline.

"As you can see. I'm perfectly fine." Adeline argued, hating the idea of being on bed rest.

"No you are not fine! 2 GSW's and then a medically induced coma. Does that sound fine to you?" The nurse responded.

Adeline froze in place.

"Wait. What?" She asked, shocked at what she heard.

"You don't remember?" The nurse asked, worried about possible memory loss.

"I remember. But I didn't get shot. It was Theo. He died. He got shot..." Adeline started but stopped when the nurse looked at her confused.

"You're probably in a little shock right now. Please, rest up. I'll call the chief to let him know your awake." The nurse announced and left the room.

After about 30 minutes the door finally opened. Adeline sat up expecting to see the Chief, but instead saw someone else.

There Theo stood at the door with a bouquet of flowers. He froze completely, mouth agape, and the flowers falling out of his hand.

"Holy shit." Theo muttered.

He quickly got out of his shocked trance and headed towards Adeline.

"I...I didn't know you woke up. When?" He asked.

"Just now actually." She stated.

Theo stood by her bed and smiled. Glad to see that she was alright. But he did notice that Adeline was staring at him weirdly.

"What? Is there something on my face?" He asked.

She chuckled at his statement and shook her head.

"No...I had this dream. It felt so real. You and I were in the hospital talking and your crazy ex came into the hospital and she shot you. And you died in my arms. Everything felt so real. And yet, here you are. Alive and well." Adeline explained.

"Well, most of that is true. You and I were talking and Serena did come barging in. But it wasn't me she shot. Unfortunately, she got you. Luckily other people attacked her to the ground to stop her from causing more chaos. And doctors came to you right away. You got lucky. You were bleeding out. Dr. Emersyn told me that they lost you here and there when you were in surgery. But you pulled through."

Adeline was slowly processing the information.

"And Serena?"

Theo scoffed at the sound of her name.

"Yeah. She's locked up. The baby will be given to her family once born, but she will stay in jail. Judge gave her 20 years. Personally, I prefer a life sentence. But I think the judge let her off easy since she's pregnant."

Adeline nodded her head slowly. Still shocked to hear everything.

"She's finally out of our lives." She muttered to herself, relief washing over her body.

"Well, technically only for 20 years. But yeah. She is." Theo added, sarcastically.

Adeline laughed at his comment and then the door bursted open and a man about the same age as them came running in. Huffing and puffing.

"Mr. Straton! They say Adeline is...awake..." he said, slowly and awkwardly finishing his sentence when he realized he was too late.

Theo chuckled.

"Yes. Thank you James. I've noticed." He commented.

James didn't know if he should either laugh or apologize. So he just stood there awkwardly.

"And you are?" Adeline asked.

James stood up straight. And with a bright smile introduced himself

"I'm James. James Beckett. I'm Theo's partner in his company."

"Partner?" She asked, confused.

"Yeah. Well, After some time I've decided to get some help. Find myself a business partner for my company. We split everything 50-50." Theo informed.

Before anyone could say anything else. Theo's phone rang.

"It's my sister. She's going to be happy to hear about you." Theo said, and walked out the room. Leaving her and James alone in the room.

He then cleared his throat and asked,

"Do you like the flowers?"

"Which one?" Adeline laughed, still amazed to see the dozens of flowers in her room.

"Well. Theo personally brought in flowers for you whenever he had time off. But when he was too busy i decided to do it for him. He brought in the roses. While I brought in the Peonies." He said proudly. Motioning towards the white/pink flowers.

Adeline smiled at the thought of his kind actions. She then extended an arm out towards James.

"It's nice to meet you James." She said and he took her hand and shook it.

The 2 continued talking while Theo was outside on the phone. And through the crack of the door he saw how easily Adeline and James bonded. The 2 were already laughing over something.

He smiled at the sight of her happy. And that's all he really wanted for her. Happiness.