Chapter 76: Personal Experience

Vance appeared the next day. Garett had an unpleasant facial expression when he saw Vance arriving with a basket of fruits.

"...It will be for a short while," Vance said nervously.

Vance had changed his name and cut off much of his hair to give him a new sense of identity. His background story was set to be Dolton's distant relative who just so happens to look much like him. He took the Knight test and passed on the very first try. He later received a recommendation from my father as well as his blood related father to become a Knight of Prince Erik.

When he became a Knight close to Prince Erik, not many questions were asked about his origins because of his powerful backing.

I still do not think he is enough of a suspicious fellow for Garett to be worried about though...

"Have a great time," Garett said as he left us alone.

"He does not seem to like me," Vance said with an awkward smile.

"I happen to like you," I said lightheartedly.

"Please do not say such things so easily...Jealousy of a man with a lover is very scary," Vance said.

"He probably is jealous," I said with a small chuckle. "Were you well acquainted with him before the time leap?"

"He was His Highness' cousin, so we spoke to each other sometimes. We were never really close...When you look at them side by side, they are very similar to each other. They could be twins if no one knew any better."

"I was surprised too. It was not until long after I left the Academy that I noticed their faces were so close in similarity."

"That is a bit long considering how long you three had known each other..."

"I suppose my mind was filled with other things back then."

"His Highness?"

"...I do not deny it," I confessed.

"How are your injuries?" he asked.

"They reopened again, but I will live."

"They reopened!" he said with a worried look on his face.

I cannot tell him about yesterday's trysts...

I coughed lightly into my fist to clear my throat and tried to fan away my flushed face.

"It's fine...You have something to tell me?" I asked.

"I have a few things to report. In the recent incident, the Knights caught around fourteen disguised assailants, two mercenaries, and seven Nobles. Along with Kaya Ouchi and her father, five other Nobles were found to be connected to the recent incident. Coincidentally, they are all Nobles that have accepted brides from Balik Empire," Vance reported.

"...How is Er...His Highness?" I asked him concernedly.

"His Highness is fine. He is just a bit shaken from recent events. I believe half of it was due to self reflection and the other was probably witnessing your fall," Vance said.

What a troublesome man...

"I want to see Kaya Ouchi," I told him.

"Right now?"

"Right now."

Vance swept me off of the bed and into his arms. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He stepped onto the window ledge with me in his arms.

It was great that Vance was a man of action who did not express many complaints.

"I know a shortcut down," Vance said.