Chapter 59: It Should Have Been My Time [Kaya]

[Kaya's perspective]

Prince Erik's attendant delivered me a letter saying that Prince Erik wanted to meet me.

"Lady Kaya, do you mind following me to somewhere?" Prince Erik asked as he held out his hand.

"Of course! I would gladly follow you anywhere," I said as I took up his hand.

He led me towards what seemed like an auditorium.

...Where is the romantic boat ride or fancy dinner with lamb steak?

"Do you like it here, Lady Kaya?" Prince Erik asked.

"I suppose it is a bit bland...It does have its charm."

"Most of the school balls are hosted here. When the walls are decorated, the auditorium becomes an unimaginably beautiful place. It makes the perfect place for people to gather," Prince Erik said as he took my hand.

A crowd of people from all directions swarmed in and surrounded us.

"...Your Highness?"

"Would you not like an audience to see your crowning moment, or are you too embarrassed in front of all these people?" Prince Erik whispered in my ears.

"N-Not at all...The more people, the better it is is," I said while trying to act coy.

"That's a great quality to have..."

Prince Erik released my hand and took a step back from me. He suddenly dug into his inner breast pocket.

It is a ring! It is definitely a ring! I am getting proposed to!

What he pulled out was a clear plastic bag with a bloody knife...

I gasped.

"Y-Your Highness, what is this?"

"Hm...You tell me. This was found in your room."

That is impossible! I left the dagger at that cabin. There is no way that I could have possibly brought it back with me...

Stay calm, Kaya...

"Haha...Your Highness is surely one to kid."

This era has not developed proper forensics yet...Even in the future, it is not mentioned. These characters are not that complex enough for it to happen.

"We recently recovered the body of Dolton Grass at the bottom of a ravine. Our coroner has determined that the cause of death was from a knife wound rather than from drowning. The weapon here is presumed to be the cause of his death from the blood found on this knife. Dolton is from a bloodline where they have a rare blood type that does not mix well with other blood types, so it was fairly easy to tell that the blood on this weapon also belonged to him."

"That knife cannot be mine," I said with a chuckle.

The person who loses their cool loses...

"Then..." Prince Erik said as he snapped his fingers.

His attendant pulled up my admission sheet.

When I was first accepted to this school, they made us sign our names with marks of our thumbs. I thought it was a rather advanced for a romance novel, so I purposely smudged my thumb print on the first try. After I made sure that no one was looking, I switched out the second sheet with the first one and tossed out the original.

"Heh...I have not seen that since I first came here. That sure brings back memories," I said as I smiled and put my hand to my cheek.

"Pull it down a little further," Prince Erik ordered.