(52) kairosclerosis

Buckle up guys.

I didn't know Cambridge actually held a prom until four days before it was to happen

I didn't know Cambridge actually held a prom until four days before it was to happen. My head had been in the clouds as I prepared for my course exams, college decisions, and finishing up the last of my required work.

By the time I had actually found out about prom- well technically it was called 'the summer ball'- it was a little too late to make a big spectacle or anything. I wasn't planning on doing so anyways, since this wasn't my first school dance. I had gone to Prom thrice already, twice in New York at my old school and once in Maryland with a friend who went to school there.

Unlike me, the other students at Cambridge were buzzing in excitement about the dance, including the girls. Four days ago we were sitting at the coffee shop in town chatting, when the subject arose.

"I still haven't decided on what to wear for the summer ball." Lillian sighed, tapping on the wooden table.

"Just don't wear anything, Dominic would love that," MJ said through a mouthful of muffin.

"You're hilarious," Lillian said dryly.

"Wait," I set my iced drink down to look at Lillian. "What summer ball?"

"What do you mean 'what summer ball'? The ball that everyone's been talking about for the past month! The ball? Blake, there are posters about it everywhere! People are being promposed to left and right!"

"Ball-posed, actually." Daisy corrected with a smile.

"But still, how have you not noticed?"

I shrugged with a sheepish smile. "I've been a bit busy with the stuff for graduation. I barely made the decision on time earlier this month for college decisions." I sighed.

"But you're fine with Brown, right? You got into the program you wanted and everything!" Sarah laid her head on her fist.

"I guess, but I'm sad that I'll be leaving you all," I said with a grin. "I love you all, and surprisingly this place has made me so happy."

"Aww we'll miss you too!" MJ tossed her arms around me in a hug.

"MJ shut up. You and Daisy are also graduating this month and you're literally going to the same university as Blake." Lillian scoffed.

"Go bears?" MJ shrugged, an innocent smile on her face.

"Anyways, Blake! You have to end the year with a bang- as in you have to- no, you must go to the ball! We will be your fairy godmothers!" Lillian stated.

"Wasn't it you who just said you don't even know what you're going to wear?" I raised a brow at Lillian, who just waved me off in response.

"I'll just choose with my eyes closed, I bought six different dresses I just haven't made a final decision."