Ch 22: Rescue, Female General Li

Music on to feel the vibe. (••)

**

"Yuan Zi Yan!"

I hear a familiar voice yell my name. Did I hear wrong?

The barbaric man seems to hear it too, immediately halting his actions.

I scream as loud as I can, "I am in here!"

In bursts Xu Kai, who wearily yields his sword. His wounds have open up again and his clothing is drench in blood. Blood drips down from his sword; he must've fought his way in.

His eyes widen as he examines my pathetic appearance. Disheveled and half-torn clothing, with tears rolling down my cheeks and hands trembling in fear.

Xu Kai rests his weight on his sword, which he stabs in the ground. "Who says you can touch her?"

The barbaric man scoffs and picks up his sword, "Co-Commander Xu Kai, I've never thought I would see you in such a pitiful state."

Xu Kai takes a deep breath and exhales, raising the sword as if he is not injured at all. "She's not someone you can touch so nonchalantly." He runs towards the man, who in his defense, swings his sword.

After a few minutes of sword fighting, the winner is determined. The barbaric man collapses on the ground, with blood soon flowing onto the ground. Xu Kai drops his sword to the ground, heroically wandering towards me.

The mess I created. It's over. Finally.

My eyes meet those of Xu Kai; he unties the knots on my hands and knees. I try to hold in my tears but I couldn't help but begin to bawl my eyes out, "Co-Commander.. I'm sorry."

Draping his cape over me, he gently caresses my face and wipes away my tears. "Don't cry," he whispers with a weak smile.

"I'm here now. See, I saved you first." He follows it with a painful grunt, collapsing over me. I hold him in my arms; on the corner of my eyes, I see blood.

"Xu Kai!" I panic as I tap him on his face, "Don't sleep on me. Do you hear me? Hey!"

When his assistant brocade-clad guard, Wu Lan Jun, arrives with the horse carriage, we speedily return to the city.

Xu Kai's chest wound wouldn't stop bleeding, so I rip off parts of my dress to cover up his wound. When I apply pressure over dressing to control the bleeding, Xu Kai reacts with a flinch and a faint groan in pain. "Sorry, hang in there," I gently tap his forehead with my handkerchief to get rid of the excessive sweat.

I realize my hands are tightly bounded to his; I hadn't let go the whole time we were heading back to the city.

We head back to Scholar Li's Manor again, who treats Xu Kai with the proper medical care he needs. It seems that Scholar Li Shi Zhen is the only competent and trustworthy medical provider Xu Kai is acquainted with.

Co-Commander lies on the bed once again, this time unconscious. Scholar Li provided me with a change of clothing and sent out a letter to assure the Yuan household that I am safe. I thank him shortly.

Li Shi Zhen sighs despairingly, "Excessive blood loss.   If he was any man, that may be life threatening, but our Co-Commander isn't just any man, now is he? Don't you go cause more trouble, Miss Yuan."

I shake my head firmly, "I won't, Scholar Li. I'll just stay by his side."

"Very well," nods Li Shi Zhen, who departs the room, leaving us alone.

The room is fill with serenity, apart from the breathing of the man in front of me. "That's no good, Co-Commander," I sullenly mutter, "If you treat me like this, I wouldn't want to go back."

I sit in silence and daze out. I trace his features with my fingers, attempting to fix the strands of hair that lie on his face.

A hand grabs me by the wrist, causing me to yelp. "Go back where?"

I gasp with bewilderment, patting my chest. "Don't scare me like that, Sir Xu. My soul almost escaped from my body," I exclaim before sighing with a smile. "You should rest." I stand up to leave him astray, allowing him to sleep.

"Tell me.." he persists, "If you need anything."

I swirl around and grin while shaking my head, "Sir Xu, look at your position. That's what I should be telling you, not you telling me."

Suddenly, someone barges into the room, "Xu Kai!" In came a fair maiden with an exuberant attitude; she is wearing a suit of body armor. Her hair is tied up and she exerts an aura that establishes dominance.

She appears to be a general, if not a proficient soldier. She smiles at Xu Kai, "Torn down, I see."

"General Li," Xu Kai's eyes turn to her.

Upon seeing me, she greets me with a flabbergasted look. "You must be Miss Yuan. It is very nice to meet you. I apologize for my sudden request, but it would be great if you can pardon us for a moment."

"Oh!" I nod, "Yes, of course. Please do," I announce aloud. I gave Xu Kai one last glance before I leave the scene.

Who is she?