Ch 34: Finding A Home, Beautiful Soul

Turn on the music to feel the vibe!

**

We end up having the brocade-clad guards bury the little boy's mother and his infant sister. A melancholic feeling rests within me as I watch the little boy combat his tears. "Mother said big boys don't cry."

His name is Wan Xiao Liang, a seven year old boy who lived with his mother. She was pregnant with his little sister and recently gave birth. Due to the unhealthy water supply and inadequate food, his little sister Wan Yan Yan was born weaker and more fragile than the average baby.

With the father abandoning the household last minute, they had no one to rely on and was slowly running out of food.

I sigh. As it turns out, we came a bit too late.

In the end, we decide to take Liang'er back with us to the city. He no longer has any family members in this village; plus, it seems most of the villagers do not have enough resources to care for another child.

As we set up the tables and pack up our items in the horse carriage, I notice how wary and cautious Liang'er is. He hides behind me and Xu Kai, even dodging General Li's offer of a bowl of porridge. He is especially afraid of Rong Yi's "creepy smile."

As the dawn settles, General Li and I are about to attend our carriage. That is until we hear Wan Xiao Liang's cry.

"Can that big sister and this Sir be in a carriage with me?" he rubs his torn up clothes together while glancing down at the ground.

Rong Yi prances, "Little guy, you can't be so picky! You even want this guy—" he points to Sir Xu ferociously, "—to be with my Zi Yan? No way!"

Wan Xiao Liang begins to cry, "I just want to feel safe. My mom and sister have gone up to the sky already.."

His tears have strike a feeling of guilt in Rong Yi, who scratches his head in frustration, "I didn't mean to make you cry."

Sir Xu bends down and wipes the tears off Xiao Liang's face, "We will abide by your request. Isn't that right, Miss Yuan?" He glances at me with an intentional gaze from which I quickly nod.

And so, General Li and Rong Yi end up sharing a horse carriage while Liang'er, Xu Kai, and I stay within another.

"He whose surname is Xu—you better not do anything to Zi Yan!" Rong Yi comments before huffing his way into his carriage.

As our horse carriage begins, Xiao Liang asks when we will arrive to the city. Xu Kai replies with "After you wake up from a nap" to ease his apprehension.

Liang'er seems to have not ridden a horse carriage before. Sitting between Xu Kai and me, he asks if he can hold both of our hands.

I hesitate a little as I thought Sir Xu wouldn't comply to such a bold request. It turns out Sir Xu acts in accordance, to my astonishment. I move in a little closer to the center, taking Xiao Liang's left hand using my right hand. Sir Xu calmly holds Xiao Liang's right hand.

As Liang'er closes his eyes and indulges in a sleep, a thought comes across my mind. We resemble a little family, coupled together for warmth.

My heart is swaying, swaying, as blown by the wind. I glance over at Sir Xu, whose eyes have closed as well, then at Liang'er.

I wish I can keep him in the Yuan Manor; however, I doubt Madam and Master Yuan will allow me to keep a child. It is inconvenient for Xu Kai to care for the child as well.

I guess the only choice is to place him in an orphanage, hoping that a conscientious household can take him in.

As the cold air enters through the window, I yawn, wiping my eyes with my free hand. Maybe sleeping for a bit won't be too bad.

In the midst of the ride, Co-Commander awakes and notices the quiet presence of the child and the lady. They are both soundly asleep.

Yuan Zi Yan mumbles under her breath, "Fried chicken... ice cream... twenty dollars.. too expensive.."

He stares at Yuan Zi Yan, smiling. "You have worked hard today," he says.

Captivation and infatuation. He feels drawn to her without any apparent reason.

Our eyes see too much of the world, and too little of the heart and soul.

Reaching his free hand towards her, he tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear. "A beautiful heart and soul, you have."

He wonders, when was the last time he was at such peace?

Sir Xu knows not the answer to that question; he just knows it's been a while.

**

The sunlight forces my eyes open.

I awake exhaustedly, sighting Xiao Liang exuberantly peeking out the windows.

I'll sleep a little more.

Wait-

If Xiao Liang is a few steps in front of me, viewing the city, then whose hand am I holding? Who am I resting on?

Glancing to my right, I see Co-Commander Xu, who is already awake and piercing his eyes through the open windows. "Slouchy appearance and forceful misdemeanor," utters he.

OH MY— I snatched his hand?

Pray lord baby Buddha!

I rapidly release my hand from his hand and sit up straight, departing myself from Sir Xu's shoulders. Wiping the drool off my face, I attempt to fix my disheveled appearance. "I apologize for the improper behavior, Sir."

Was it actually me who latched onto him? Such embarrassment!

Co-Commander crosses his hands, turning his gaze to me. "May I call you by Zi Yan, Miss Yuan?"

"Excuse me?" I blink.

"I said, may I call you Zi Yan?"

I blink again, "What's with the sudden request?"

He closes his eyes, "I just like the way it sounds." As he sits back, he regains his grace and repose.

My brows twitch, "Sure?"

Strange guy.