Ch 32: Zi Yuan's Stooge, Rong Yi

Turn on the music to feel the vibe.
Comment and vote if you enjoy the story :)

**

It has only been a day after Xi Ning's wedding.

And so..

How did this happen?

I skeptically stare at the man in the center of the room, the same person who was playing the bamboo flute yesterday. He has been following me for the past several hours, acting as if he is my shadow.

"How long are you going to keep staring at me like that?" I interrogate him, as I drop the wet brush on the table. Unable to concentrate, I forfeit the idea of proceeding with Li Shi Zhen's medicinal booklet.

The man, who calls himself Rong Yi, rests his chin on his hands and stares at me across the room. Sitting on the chair next to the mahogany table in the center of my room, he says, "Until you agree to wander around the city with me."

He sighs, "Plus, I can't help it. Our Yan'er has such beautiful collar bone, I cannot bear to shift my eyes away from you."

This creeper—

I beckon Xiu Ying, who stands behind me, to block the view of me. She nods in agreement and stand in front of me.

"H-Hey! Yan'er! Don't you miss me, after all this time? It has been a while since I returned from the Xuan Yuan Mountain."

Xuan Yuan Mountain.. It is where the prominent and well-respected imperial clan lie. People train to advance their martial arts. Is that why his white outfit resembles the uniform of a clan?

"Nope," I shake my head, "No memory of that."

Earlier, Xiu Ying has sneakily informed me about my history with this man. Rong Yi, the son of a feudal official.

Growing up, he favors the arts and decides to join the Xuan Yuan Mountain at an early age. He met Yuan Zi Yan when he was in a temple and fell in love with her personality.

Visiting the Manor quite often, Master and Madam Yuan is used to his presence. That is, before he eventually stayed in the Mountains. Of course, despite Rong Yi's persistence, the original Yuan Zi Yan did not return his feelings.

But seriously? Of all things, he falls in love with the villainess' personality? He's appealing in display, but perhaps has a few screws loose in his head.

He gives me the puppy eyes, "You even promised me that you would write me letters. And yet, I didn't receive any."

Don't tell me he's the reason why Master and Madam Yuan did not wed me off?

I scratch my head and glance at Xiu Ying, wondering if she has any clues about what he is saying. She shakes her head in denial, "When has our Elder Miss promise you that, Childe Rong?"

He smiles, "When you were not present, Xiu Ying." He turns his head to me, "I cannot believe it, Zi Yan. Of all people, you forget me?"

What he says may be true if Xiu Ying was not present. I mean, the villainess Yuan Zi Yan may have been manipulating him through his feelings to obtain power. Who knows?

I sigh, "Okay, Rong Yi. Sorry to break it to you, but I am not the old Yuan Zi Yan anymore. None of her feelings, memories, or relationships are associated with me."

Rong Yi nods, "No worries. We can start over. You and me, we are destined to get married. Perchance we can walk around; you may evoke some memories from that."

I cough out blood, "M-Married? No, no. That's going way too far."

I have been single since birth!

There's a knock at the door, "I apologize for the interruption, Elder Miss. The imperial military guards' Co-Commander is awaiting for your presence outside the Manor."

I stand up, "What is Xu Kai doing here?"

As I exit the room, Xiu Ying and Rong Yi trails behind me. "What is the imperial military guards' Co-Commander doing here? How did you meet him?"

Xiu Ying sneers, "That, you don't know. Our Elder Miss has a very close relationship. They have even—"

I interrupt with a cough, "Too much information." As we pass through the pathways to the guest room, Rong Yi begs Xiu Ying to proceed with her sentence. "Don't tell me you have an intimate relationship with him?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Who knows?"

Rong Yi stomps his foot, "I don't care. If you don't ample around the city with me, I will follow you around day and night, serving as your stooge."

I slap him across his head, "Hey—that is called invasion of privacy, you know that?"

"Ow!" He rubs his head, "I never said I will watch you sleep or bathe. That is a good suggestion, however—"

"Ow, ow! Not the ear, please!"

As we get closer the entrance to the Manor, I see two persons. Sir Xu and the other imperial military guard, Wu Lan Jun, was it?

"Sir Xu!" I wave after he turns around and notices my arrival. He is standing a few steps outside the Yuan Manor; I kindly approach him. "What are you doing here?"

He looks at Rong Yi, "Who's this? Your new servant?"

Rong Yi scoffs, "New servant? I will be her future betrothed. Now, if you have nothing to reason here, we will head out now." Rong Yi snatches my left arm, dragging me out to the opposite direction of Xu Kai.

Uh, what?! Wait—

I feel someone's hand grab my right arm. As I glance down, I notice the hands belong to Co-Commander Xu Kai.

"Who determined such foul future? Did you even let her choose?" He exclaims, tightening his grip.

Rong Yi notices his hand clutching my right arm so he pulls me to his side, "Don't you touch her. You act as if you will take responsibility for her future!"

C'mon, guys. This is not a tug of war. My poor arms!