Ch 40: A Facade, Madam Yuan's Bargain

Thank you for the views, votes, and comments <3

20K views, here I come!

Music on to enhance your reading experience!

**

"Tenth brother!" yelps the seventeenth prince, who continues, "What brings you here?"

Master Yuan coughs, "Tenth Prince! This Master does not know you were coming to visit us today."

The words faintly pass through Yuan Zi Yan's ears, yet she does not have the energy to react whatsoever.

Rong Yi gently taps Zi Yan's cheeks to try to regain her consciousness; he notices how pale she is. He glares at the crowd, "What did she do to deserve this?"

Madam Yuan frowns, "Your Highness, it is our duty to punish Yan'er for attempting to hit the Seventeenth Prince." She says while twisting the handkerchief in her arm, as she knows that he distastes any harm to her.

Rong Yi scoffs, "Seventeenth brother, inflicting pain has always been part of your interest, is it not?" He bends down and carries Yuan Zi Yan on his back, carefully rising up.

The Seventeenth Prince clenches his fist and sucks his teeth at Rong Yi, "Tenth brother, I think you should watch what you are saying. If you decide to take her away today, you are moving away from your neutral relationship with me."

The Tenth Prince glares at the crowd once more prior to bringing Yuan Zi Yan to her room. As he departs, he can hear his seventeenth brother yell, "I will remember what you are doing today." Upon arriving at her door, Rong Yi notices Xiu Ying is cleaning the outside of the yard.

Xiu Ying sights Rong Yi, who she has yet to know the true identity of. "Childe Rong!" She gasps, running towards them, "What happened to Elder Miss?"

"Quick, bring her in and lay her on her chest. I have some medications here for you to apply for her."

As Xiu Ying delicately lay her Miss on the bed, she begins to cry, "Master and Madam Yuan always treat Elder Miss in such a harsh way. I understand that she is born to a title-less mother, but nonetheless, she is the Elder Miss of the family. Last time, they even made her chop wood and wash clothing; yet, Miss never complained. "

Rong Yi sighs. He smiles and pats her on the head, "I will take it from here. Why don't you help her apply the medications?" Xiu Ying nods while he exits the room and closes the door, awaiting for Xiu Ying to complete her task. By the time she is done, the Tenth Prince enters the room to see Yuan Zi Yan.

The Tenth Prince rests on the chair placed next to her bed. Her eyes are half open and her lips display little color. She attempts to get up and bow, but Rong Yi reassures her to rest. "So you've heard."

"Your highness," She lets out softly, "I do not understand why you hid your identity all this time, but I thank you for lending me a hand back there."

Rong Yi says, "A façade has allow me to go back and forth throughout the city." He makes a facial expression indicating displeasure, "But.. Since when does the Zi Yan that I know let others take advantage over her? You don't ever tolerate people who treat you poorly."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. I stood up for justice when I endured the hits." She halts but continues, "I did not want to waste my words on people who deserve my silence. The most powerful thing I can say at that moment is nothing at all," Yuan Zi Yan delivers with ease.

Rong Yi lets out a sigh and follow it up with a smile, "..It has been hard on you, right?"

Somehow, tears begin to form in her eyes. "Hey--Hey, who opened the windows and let the dust in?" Zi Yan wipes her tears away, yet they keep falling. Realizing she cannot deny her feelings, she nods. Her throat feels dry, as if a torch is lit up inside of it.

"Yes."

**

It is a moonless night.

Madam Yuan arrived in the palace, hoping to meet up with the Seventeenth Prince. Today's occurences have come to ignite her powder keg of emotions. She realizes that she has put her youngest daughter, Yuan Xi Ning, in such a torturous situation.

What she had hoped for when she wed her daughter to a Prince is luxury, not what she saw today in her Manor. It seems her attempt to covet glory and wealth has cause great distress.

She departs the carriage, with her personal elder servant carrying her left hand. She quietly awaits in the guest room for the Seventeenth Prince.

"Your Highness," she bows impatiently, "I have been waiting for you."

He raises his brows, "Madam Yuan. I assume you are here to speak about your daughter."

She nods, "Yes, I am. I came here to ask of you to please take care and treat my daughter well. Motherhood is the greatest yet the hardest thing. I hope you understand what I mean.."

The Seventeenth Prince acknowledges her statement with a disparaging smile, "I know exactly what you mean. But Madam Yuan, what do I get in return for sacrificing my interests?"

To her bewilderment, she says, "This Madam does not understand what you mean, your Highness."

He whispers something into her ears, causing her to gasp in shock. "My husband's secret transcript? I cannot steal such thing!"

He shrugs, "Your husband or your daughter. You choose. I will give you one day."

Madam Yuan's hands are trembling. It is apparent she is trapped in an insoluble dilemma. Her brows suddenly furrows before she finally announces, "I understand. I will bring it to you by tomorrow."