The News

-Thea-

When you're floating in darkness nothing hurts. Nothing weighs down on your soul crushing it little by little. Nothing aches or smarts reminding you of your past mistakes. When you're floating in darkness you are at peace.

But this peace is never acquired naturally. This is a darkness given to you by those who supply your nightmares. You will learn to savor it but also dread it. Because the worst part of floating in darkness is coming back to the light.

My eyes fluttered open to find myself sprawled out on the kitchen floor. It was sticky with blood. My blood.

Bread.

This all started with bread. I had the audacity to steal a piece after not eating for the last 4 days. So I received a punishment from my mother and stepfather. For being a lying stealing bitch. In my opinion I do not fit any of those words but they say it so often it must be true. They were awful words spoken by awful people but I couldn't ignore the voice in my head telling me they were right.

Sitting up I hissed at a sharp pain in my ribs. That was gonna be fun to deal with later. Once I was on my feet I saw Mom and my step dad Greg sitting on the couch, chatting as if there wasn't a 9 year old passed out in the next room over. They disgust me. I slowed my motions being cautious of the creaking floor boards.

I just need to make it to my room. Once I'm in my room I'm safe for the time being.

I tiptoed up the stairs until I got to the safety of my "room" (it's really just an attic with a ripped mattress and a tattered blanket) grabbing the mirror and first aid kit from under my bed.

I had once read a book about how soldiers used to clean wounds with minimal supplies so I knew how to keep from getting an infection. I ran my sliced up arms under the warm tap, trying to rinse the bacteria out. I rinsed the clumped blood out of my hair and felt the painful gash behind my head.

I washed it with warm water as best as I could but luckily my hair hid it rather well. They never left a mark on my face. They were cruel but they were not stupid. A bruise on my face would be suspicious. I was looking at my black and blue ribs when I heard her call me

"Thea, come down here." Mom called in a sickly sweet voice.

The fact that she used my name sent shivers down my spine. She was usually far too high or drunk out of her mind to even remember my name and the tone she used was so far from the venomous one she usually spoke with when addressing me.

"Thea! Get down here now!" She demanded in a harsher tone. 

That's more like it.

I complied before my punishment could exceed what it already definitely was. I did not need to piss her off any more than I already had. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I saw something strange. Mom smiling. Not a twisted smirk or the smile she plastered on for police and social workers. But a real genuine smile.

She's probably drunk.

She was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. It made my stomach churn and my heart race.

What was she planning?

"Thea dear, go pack you things." She said giddily.

This was getting weirder and weirder.

I gulped before asking a question

"Um Ma'am? Where am I going?" I flinched away afraid of being hit for questioning her but it never came.

"You're going to live with your father." 

My heart dropped to my stomach. 

A/N-First chapter of a new story! LMK if you like this one. I already have a few chapters written so if you guys like this one I'll post more.

Edited 7/25/20