Chapter Fifty-Four

Alina

We followed Drake upstairs where he showed all my pack members their respective rooms to rest and freshen up. He provided everyone with drinks and refreshments and said he would take us to the cell in a few hours. Neil wanted to go to the cell right away and get the conversation done with. Drake was persistent enough to let his visitors rest before any confrontations. Drake left soon after saying that he would be downstairs preparing for the meeting scheduled a few hours later.

Ron and I sat inside the room that was assigned to Neil. Once they were sure no one was snooping, they both laughed. They mimicked James' expressions and commented on his deadly glares. His glares didn't go unnoticed, considering how he was continuously staring at Neil the whole time from the corner of the room.

"That made me so fucking uncomfortable." Neil groaned. "It felt like he was drilling a hole on my forehead with his glares."

I rolled my eyes. "You are just overreacting. He didn't glare that bad."

Ron scoffed, "Yeah, like for real. Keep telling that to yourself. Everyone in the house sensed that awkward tension your mate had with Beta Neil."

"And then he looked like a blowfish." Neil joked and poked my cheek.

I pouted. 

Ron laughed harder.

"But seriously I missed you guys," I said after both of them were done throwing their laughing fits at me.

They soon smiled back. "We missed you more. The pack needs you."

Even though it has been only sixteen days since I last saw them, it still felt like ages. Seeing them again, allowed me a sense of relief that I was missing. I was grateful that they were alright.

"I am also glad to see Alpha James back on his toes," Neil said looking at me. "The way he took that bullet for you, I can't thank him enough for his instinctive approach. He saved you."

"Yes. I am glad he is alright." I cried. "I can't stress how worried I was about him. I thought he was going to die."

Neil's face softened as he looked at me. "Don't be silly. He is alright and that is what matters."

I closed my eyes as the image of James injured, laying on the ground, re-entered my head.

"Stop thinking." I heard Ron say, "A lot has happened while you were gone."

I opened my eyes and looked at him. "Any whereabouts on Luke?"

Both of them shook their heads. "No, sadly," Neil spoke. "We looked for him at the Graveyard of Doom again after the— the incident. No clue."

"He disappeared on us again. We are certain something is up for sure." Ron added.

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. "So you found nothing there?"

Neil sighed. "We went in, looked everywhere but found nothing. However, the Graveyard of Doom has always been a no-entry zone for all the packs after the war. During our search we sound some maps there, crumbled up, half burnt."

I raised an eyebrow, "Maps?"

"Yes," Ron answered this time. "I went along with Neil and we found some territorial maps. We have come to the conclusion that the abandoned wolves were having secret meetings there."

"I am more worried about Luke right now," I said honestly looking at them. "The way he keeps disappearing, it's not a good sign. I hope he didn't run after an abandoned wolf this time as well."

"More like we hope he didn't get kidnapped by the shapeshifters." Ron sneakered sarcastically looking at me.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure the shapeshifters have something to do with the abandoned wolves going all wild on us." He stated.

Neil and I both looked at each other.

"What's on your mind?" Neil asked him.

Ron took a deep breath and started, "As much as I am aware of it, the shapeshifters are a gifted species. They can change form and even change their scent, just like we change into werewolves. After peace was declared, the shapeshifters disappeared. They tried their level best to hurt Romero when he was alive. Unable to do so they manipulated his friends and made them kill him instead."

"Wait, I didn't know that." I frowned. I looked at Neil and asked if he was aware of it.

"Yes, I know." Neil nodded. "The shapeshifters wanted to wipe us out but were unable to do so in the past. The reason for such hatred is still unknown to us."

"So you are saying they are trying to ignite another war?" I asked.

"Possible." Ron shrugged. "Again, we need to talk to the abandoned wolves in the cell and see what they have to say."

"The history states that the shapeshifters are small in numbers. They are blessed with vast knowledge and brains but a low reproductive rate. They don't breed as often as our female wolves do. In the sense, they lack in numbers." Neil added. "We even found some ripped skin flakes at the Graveyard of Doom. Do you remember when Luke disappeared for the very first time and came back with ripped clothes, bruises and burns everywhere?"

I nodded and mumbled a yes.

"Funny enough we found some torn fabric of the shirt Luke was wearing that very day, with some blood on it, near the shrine."

I gasped.

"The shrine, however, is fully protected still and the remains are untouched," Ron explained. "However, the skin flakes that we found at the Graveyard of Doom near Luke's torn fabric does not belong to a werewolf. I have run all the necessary tests and come to the conclusion that it belongs to a shapeshifter."

"You mean Luke encountered a shapeshifter?" I asked as a cold shiver ran down my spine.

"We think so," Ron said. Neil agreed along. "There is a possibility."

"I don't know what's happening around us. I don't even know what Luke was doing at the Graveyard of Doom or how you found skin flakes there. All I know is that we need to find Luke." I asserted. "Only he can answer our questions about his disappearance."

"You need to come with us after this discussion with the Dark Moon pack ends," Neil interjected. "It's a rather critical situation where we need to work together."

I knew I had no reason to stay behind. I had promised James that we would figure our personal problems after the situation gets better. I was going to stick to my word if only the upcoming predicaments allow me to.

Author's Note:

UPDATE ALERT!

Let me know what you think about this chapter.

Next update: Monday.

Till then-
Peace out.