the letter

{ The Letter From Artemis }

Ander, I'm writing this in case Andrea ever wants you to know the truth. I always wanted you to know, so that you would take care of her.. but she made me promise not to ; in fear that you would hate her or that it would makes things difficult. Ander you came from a bastard of a father, and a woman who tried her best despite the life she was given. Andrea's story isn't much different, in fact the two of you are a lot more similar than you would think.

If anything she's had it harder... and if she's decided to let you read this it means that she either trusts you, or her life hasn't gotten any easier since I died.
Which is my dying fear.

Your father Alastair, met a woman named Scarlett when he was on a business trip in America. He got her drunk, and then took her to his hotel, and took advantage of her. Scarlett got out of there and went to work with her father, where she saw Alastair again. She found out he had a wife and son so she ignored him. When winter came Scarlett went back to Greece, to live with her mother.

Your father met her at the airport to threaten her into silence. Only he learnt she was pregnant with his child. He wanted her to abort the baby, saying the baby was a disgrace, and he would have nothing to do with it. Scarlett ripped the check he tried to give her to abort the baby, and she went to her mothers as planned.

Scarlett had the baby with her mother, Athena by her side. The baby turned out to be a girl, and she was given the name, Andrea Danae Castellanos.

You see Ander, Andrea was a baby born of a tragic affair.. and I'm afraid because of it she feels some kind of guilt towards you.

But that isn't where her story ends..

Andrea lived a good life full of laughter with her mother Scarlett and her nana Athena. They had a neighborhood with them that shared in their memories of laughter and happiness. For four years Andrea's life was full of light, and all the love and laughter she needed.

It was on the night of her fourth birthday party, that everything changed. After everyone had left her very first actual party and Athena went to walk one of her friends home your father showed up drunk and angry.

I never knew all the details but I know enough.

I know Scarlett hid Andrea under the sofa as she tried to get your father to calm down and leave.. but she was determined he wouldn't lay a hand on Andrea. Alastair beat Scarlett to death, and Andrea laid hidden under the sofa as she was forced to do nothing but watch.

As you can imagine for a four year old it was traumatic, and in all my years of being in the mafia I had never seen such strength and grace, that Andrea showed at only four years of age.

What I haven't mentioned is that Athena was my cousin, which means Andrea is from a long line of mafia blood.