XXVI

I spent the majority of my morning getting ready. After I finished showering I stared at the contents of my closet, sifting through various items. I grabbed a couple of shirts, giving them a quick once over before throwing them on top of my bed and moving onto sweaters. Once I had a significant amount of options I made my way over to the dresser. I grabbed my favourite pair of slacks, as well as some undergarments and socks, before tossing them on top of everything else. I knew it probably didn't matter, but I wanted to look as presentable as possible.

I ended up choosing a navy coloured button up and pairing it with my tight black slacks and a dark grey cardigan. On my feet, I threw on my usual black boots and wandered into the bathroom to do my makeup. I did the usual routine, thickening my brows before covered up the large bags under my eyes. After that, I decided to throw on some eyeliner, focusing intensely as I tried to make both sides as even as possible. It took a couple of tries, but eventually I managed to get it. I let out a heavy sigh and reached for my mascara. I coated my lashes, blinking profusely in an attempt not to smudge all the work I'd already done. Once finished, I put everything away and looked at myself in the mirror, running my fingers through my hair. I looked pretty good.

I went back into the bedroom and collected my stuff, throwing everything into various pockets. After that I made my way out to the kitchen and made some coffee. I grabbed a couple travel mugs, filing them both with coffee and sugar before throwing on the lids and moving to the table. I leaned my crutches against one of the empty chairs and sat down. I rubbed my leg as I grabbed my phone. It was nearly seven, which meant Reid would be here soon. I sipped my coffee, waiting patiently. Eventually, my buzzer sounded off, so I quickly moved to let him in. "Morning." I said into the intercom, immediately buzzing him in. I moved back to the table and sat down. Not long after, Reid appeared at my doorway, opening it slowly as he peaked inside. "Hey." I smiled.

He stepped into the apartment, closing the door behind him. He smiled back and walked towards me and sat down. "Hey."

I pushed one of the travel mugs towards him. He opened his mouth excitedly, his eyes darting between me and the coffee in front of him. "You're a way better partner than Rossi." He chuckled.

"I already knew that." I retorted.

He snorted, bringing the mug to his lips. He closed his eyes, sighing happily as the warm liquid poured into his mouth.

"So, you ready to shape the minds of children?"

"I wouldn't say they're children," he replied, "based on past lectures I'd say the main demographic I attract are those between the ages of twenty-five and thirty-five."

I rolled my eyes.

He smirked, taking another quick sip. "Yes, to answer your question, I'm ready."

We sipped our coffee for a couple of minutes before getting up. I topped up our drinks with the rest of the pot, stirring in a little more sugar before handing both mugs over to him. I adjusted my crutches and followed behind him slowly. I locked my door, throwing my keys into my back pocket before hobbling over to the elevator. I leaned against the wall as we made our way down.

"So, what exactly am I supposed to do to help you anyways?" I asked as we stepped out of the elevator. We walked side by side through the entrance of the building and got in his car.

Once Reid was buckled up in his seat he turned towards me, offering a shrug. "Nothing really. I just wanted you to come." He turned forward, starting up the car.

I forced myself to look away, staring at the road in front of me, which moved as he pulled out onto it. The blush on my face spread quickly, causing my body to clam up. I gripped my knees, wiping the excess sweat from my hands onto my pant legs.