How it began

Kylie

Kylie

It wasn't the best day to wake up to a repulsive hum of an old vacuum cleaner. Not after the terrible headache I had last night. There was a little throb in my temple in crescendo to the terrible sound. Groaning, I sit upright and reach for my phone.

No messages from my boss.

I swing my legs off the bed and sashayed my way to the bathroom.

Through the paper-thin wall, I could hear the vacuum wheezing. It was one dust away to croaking. Please, give out already. I took a shower and changed into an embroidered skirt I paired with a cropped brown shirt. I secured a scrunchie to my wrist, grabbing my bag. Breakfast is not given a thought today. Not with the dying vacuum from the neighbor that's making my ears bleed. I'd rather nibble on a doughnut on my desk at the office, thank you very much.

Half an hour later, I'm heading to the elevators of the office building. Audrey is not coming in today. It is her father's birthday and she had to visit home with her boyfriend Vren Parkinson. I've been working for her since I was nineteen. And believe me, she hasn't done anything exciting in nearly four years. For the first time, she had something going on and I give her my full support covertly.

I stepped out of the elevator, squeezing my shoulders between two men who hadn't realized there was someone in the back corner. Their eyes tailed my skirt. It was quirky, all right, for those who hadn't heard of embroidery. I made my way to my desk, the sight of a box of doughnuts stretching my mouth into a grin.

Audrey's boyfriend has offered to supply me with doughnuts in exchange for a little breach of information about Audrey. It wasn't a bribe. No, not entirely a bribe. My loyalty to my boss can't be strained with a dozen of premium doughnuts every day for a month. He just wants to check on Audrey, and since she's not the type who answers her phone unless it's a business call, Vren calls me to check on her.

Sharing the doughnuts to my colleagues, eases off the tiniest guilt – if there was any. I open the box, surveying the array of doughnuts. I purse my lips, torn between the maple bacon and the one coated in powdered sugar. I pick my first choice and lifted the box off my desk. I steer clear from the fitness team when it comes to carbs. I learned that lesson when I offered them pizza years ago. Especially the fashion and trend.

I swerve to that one team who doesn't frown at carbs. The relationship department are Audrey's star columnists. Alexis looks up from her monitor, eyes twinkling when she sees me.

"The Kylie Preston." Violet beamed at me.

Julie pushes her chair from her desk and spun it to my direction. "Love the skirt."

"This old thing?" I tug on the aforementioned skirt with my free hand and did a curtsy.

"You finally came for a relationship advice?" This came from Aimee who has tried to pair me with one of her brothers. Twice.