December 11th

I was back earlier than usual because today in my chemistry lab was clean-up day, and it only took an hour. So, I was glad I didn't have to spend all afternoon trying to understand chemistry. Plus, this gave me a few extra hours to study for finals. However, I knew that I wasn't going to actually study. I just say that I am going to study to make myself feel better. It's a terrible habit that I got myself into years ago and never stopped. I say I'm going to be productive, and then I'm not.

"The season's upon us. It's that time of year. Brandy and eggnog, there's plenty of cheer. There are lights on the trees, and there are wreaths to be hung. There's mischief and mayhem and songs to be sung. They call this Christmas where I'm from," My phone blared before it got interrupted by a text. This song is a jam and has become one of my favorites. I found it when I was working during the holiday season at the mall, and it was such a mood.

Ethan: What are you doing later?

Hailey: Studying for finals, why?

Ethan: You're coming over to meet the boys.

Hailey: Do I have to? I'm not good with people.

Ethan: Please? They want to meet the girl I won't shut up about. I'll buy you food.

Hailey: Fine. Send me your address. I'll be there eventually. And I'm only coming for the food.

He sent me his address. I left my room to grab a snack when I saw my three roomies all talking. They all must have come out of their rooms or classes, and I didn't notice. It's common for me not to hear them if I have music playing. It drowns out the rest of the world when I'm really focused.

"Not that any of you care, but I'm going out later," I said. They all turned and looked at me with confused expressions. I never went out unless it was with them or for school. Well, except for yesterday.

"You don't ever go out," Alice said. Somehow, I knew that was going to be the first thing I was going to hear. "Where are you going?"

"Ethan's. His friends supposedly want to meet me."

Layla asked, "As in the guy you keep running into?" She just got a nod.

"Speaking of Ethan," Ronnie said. I groaned, knowing where she was going with the conversation. I didn't tell the other two. "How was your date yesterday?"

"It wasn't a date," I protested.

Alice and Layla shouted simultaneously, "You went on a date?"

"It wasn't a date. We just went to Starbucks and got to know each other a little better."

"That's a date!" All three roommates argued.

"Whether it was a date or not isn't important," I said, starting to get annoyed. I didn't want to start a fight. "I'll probably be out late and don't know when I'll be back."

"Make sure you use protection," Ronnie jokes.

Layla asked, "When are we going to meet him?"

"Yeah, I want to meet him," Alice said. I knew this was coming, but I didn't know what would be said next. "I want to ensure he knows what he is getting himself into."

"I hate you three," I said, causing us all to laugh.

Ethan led me from the parking lot to his apartment. He held my hand the whole way to "make sure I didn't get lost," but I knew that it was just an excuse. I mean, come on, that is the lamest excuse he could have used, especially since no one else was wandering the hallway. However, I wasn't going to argue.

"I brought a guest," Ethan said the second we walked into his apartment. Three boys turned to look at me. "Guys, this is Hailey. Hailey, the furthest from us is Liam, then Isaac, and then Jackson. They are also on the hockey team but decided to live with me."

"Why would you want to live with him?" I asked the three boys. Ethan looked offended while the guys started laughing.

Ethan scoffed, "I invited you into my home, and this is how you act?"

"Well yeah," I said in a 'duh' tone. This caused the guys to laugh even harder. "I keep trying to get rid of you, but you keep coming back. You're like a cockroach."

"Dude, we need to keep her around," The guy furthest from us said. Honestly, I forgot all of their names. I didn't try to remember them in the first place.

"I'm trying, but you heard her; she keeps trying to get rid of me," Ethan whined as he pulled me to where the guys were chilling. He sat down on the one open spot and pulled me onto his lap. That didn't last a minute before I sat on the floor. He just frowned at me, but I gave him an innocent smile in return.

"Do you play video games?" The guy sitting right next to me asked. I should have remembered their names. I feel bad now.

I shook my head and said, "Unless it's Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., or the Lego games, I am not much of a gamer. That was more of a thing for my siblings than for me. However, I don't mind watching people play. Whenever I am home, I spend a lot of time watching my brother play his games. I like watching the stories unfold, and I am often in charge of googling if my brother can't figure out what to do next."

"You're weird," The one furthest from me said. He tossed Ethan a controller and started a round of Fortnite. I just sat on the floor with my head leaning against Ethan's legs.

While the guys played their game, I learned about each one. The one furthest from me was Liam, Ethan's best friend since diapers. He is studying criminal justice but doesn't know what he will do with it. He is loud and outgoing but super nice. He is the one that the cheerleader Ethan is helping likes. He doesn't necessarily like playing hockey, but it got him a full ride, so he hasn't quit.

The next one that hasn't talked to me was Isaac. He is also studying Criminal Justice which is how he got close to Liam. He wanted to be a homicide detective. Yeah, I didn't get it either. He is quiet until he gets comfortable with you and is outgoing. He has a long-distance girlfriend that he heads over heels for and brightens up when they mention her.

Finally, the one sitting next to Ethan is Jackson. He is the oddball that is studying elementary education. Apparently, he is a huge sucker with kids. He has my full support if he wants to work for the nightmare we call America's education system. He is laid back but is a total ladies' man. He supposedly flirts with every girl he meets if it isn't one of his friends' girlfriends.

"I should get going," I told Ethan when it got late. I had classes in the morning and didn't want to oversleep. "I don't want to go to class tired."

"I'll walk you out," He said as he grabbed his keys and slid on his shoes. We walked out of the apartment.

When we got outside, I heard someone say, "Ethan?" I turned around and saw the girl from the ice rink.

"Hey Elizabeth," Ethan said. She went over and hugged him.

"Who is this?" Elizabeth asked, staring at me.

"I'm Hailey," I answered. She gave me a small smile. "I'm the girl that bumped into you on Friday, and the dumbass asked out in front of you."

"Hey!" Ethan exclaimed.

Elizabeth started laughing, "Oh my god. I've wanted to meet you. Ethan won't shut up about you."

"Is it bully Ethan night?" He asked.

"Yes," Elizabeth and I said at the same time. He just frowned at the two of us.

"I should head up to your apartment. Liam said he needed help planning," Elizabeth said before walking towards the door. "It was nice meeting you, Hailey. We should hang out sometime and talk about how the boys are complete idiots."

I smiled, "Definitely."

Elizabeth walked inside while Ethan continued to walk me to the car.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Ethan said, unsure as he opened my door for me.

"You'll see me after my class and before yours tomorrow," I said as I climbed into my car. "Or did you forget?"

"Shut up," He said, a little embarrassed, before closing the door for me. I started my car and drove away. Ethan waved bye to me until I was no longer in his sight.