Arcades And Roommate Talks

"God, I'm horrible at this." I laugh, staring at the big F on the screen.

"I can't even find the lie to make you feel better." Max laughs as he gets off the small stage.

I turn around and get off as well. He takes our tickets, well, he's probably the only reason we got them.

"I think-" I trip and fall into his arms.

He helps me stand straight, his eyes not leaving mine. There's a small smile glued to his face and he's still holding on to my arms.

I look away and he releases my arms and awkwardly scratches the back of his head.

"I can barely walk, how am I supposed to dance?" I laugh and he joins in.

"Wanna play a different game?"

"No,", I shake my head, "I like this one. Again!"

I throw my hands in the air and he chuckles before taking out two coins. I quickly climb back up and he follows. This time, he chooses a song and the game begins.

I miss almost each step and jump a second too late. Max chuckles and I shoot him a glare.

The game ends and there's my big 'F' on the screen. I fold my arms and pout but quickly start laughing.

"Man," Max laughs, "I think this is the first time you're getting an F."

I gasp and look back at the screen. "I will master you, oh dance game."

"Is it your first time playing this game?"

"Surprisingly, yes." I frown. "I never played it when I went to the arcade."

"Any game you don't suck at?" He chuckles. I push his shoulder back and laugh.

"Let's go play that one." I point to the basketball game.

"May," he arches a brow, "I've seen you throw."

"Insult my skills one more time and I'll be throwing you into the hoop instead of that ball." I point my index finger at him.

"Sorry." He raises his hands in mock surrender and I chuckle. I take out our tickets before turning to him.

"Let's go." I hook my arm around his and pull him towards the game.

He inserts a coin and we each grab a ball. I throw mine first and it enters through the net. I hear Max hum, sounding impressed and I smile.

He throws his in and it also goes through. We continue and he misses a couple of shots but each one of mine goes through.

"How are you so good at this game?"

We finish playing and I rest my back against the metal. He mirrors me and stands next to me.

"My therapist had a hoop in her office. It was meant for kids but she said teenagers also liked it. We both know I spent a lot of time there so I got to learn and sharpen my new skill."

"Maya." I look up at him. When he's this close, I have to crane my neck a bit. He's almost as tall as Mason. "Maya, I'm really sorry."

"No, please, we've been over this. Stop it with the apologies."

"I know but-"

"I'm hungry. Are you hungry?"

He slowly nods, realising that I really don't want to talk about this. What if we end up talking about Mason? I don't want to keep this secret from him but I also don't want to tell him, not yet.