twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE 

'the reunion'

"–AND SO, THEY MET. ACCIDENTALLY." Imogen finished, a pleased smile adorning her satisfied face.

"Wow." Lucy laughed as the two walked side-by-side along the hallway. "I can't believe that actually happened!"

"You and me both." The blonde girl shook her head in amusement. "But she handled it like a champ."

Lucy peered at her friend with mild surprise, still startled at the apparent seriousness of her friend's relationship. "How did Mrs. Morris take... it?"

"You mean me being gay?" Imogen smirked and raised an eyebrow at her companion. "Grandma wasn't shocked. Took it in her stride; I think she knew already. It was mom who apparently had a problem."

"That's –"

"I know." A frown briefly flickered across the blonde girl's face, before disappearing beneath a cool expression. She quickly changed the subject. "I'm seeing her tonight anyways. Gonna see a movie."

"That should be fun." Lucy commented, bumping shoulders with her friend. When Imogen had found the Richardson girl after History, a cavalier grin was set upon her face. Lucy herself couldn't help but laugh as the girl detailed how her and Penelope were caught making out in her bedroom by her grandmother. It certainly distracted her from her turbulent life.

"Definitely." Imogen agreed contently, and a whimsical look entered her eyes. It suddenly occurred to the teenager that her friend's relationship wasn't a casual fling, nor half-hearted companionship. Imogen was genuinely infatuated.

Lucy was so happy for her.

"Alright. I'm off to Chemistry," The blonde girl announced. "Kill me."

"You love it," Lucy teased and watched with a fond smile as her friend threw her a wink, walking away. Her smile remained fixed as her eyes trailed the departing girl, and slowly slipped off her face as she rounded the corner.

She was left with her thoughts.

And, of course, her awaiting Calculus test just ten meters away.

Without the distraction of Imogen, Lucy retreated back into herself as she ambled to the classroom. It was Friday; and Quil had still not returned after a week of absence. Lucy felt as though a veil of melancholy had fixed over herself, and she constantly felt despondent. Her guilt had hardened and settled deep inside her and to everything else around her; she was numb. She couldn't think about anything else.

Sleep was unobtainable for her. Dark circles lined underneath her bleary mint eyes like smudges of charcoal. She was too worried to sleep, and too tired to focus.