fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

'long time coming'

LUCY SPENT THE NEXT TWO days avoiding her family

LUCY SPENT THE NEXT TWO days avoiding her family. She practically begged Doc to give her a shift for Tuesday morning – which, thankfully, he did – and left early in the morning to bypass any unnecessary interaction with them. She even stayed later to perform a comprehensive, free-of-charge exfoliation of the Howling Wolf Café; she was that desperate to not go home.

Next, after she clocked off, and bundled in her navy blue coat, she sat in her car for five minutes, contemplating her next move. Cobalt was absolutely freezing, courtesy of her still-broken heater, and she resolved to go to a mechanics in Forks on Thursday to get it fixed. She had woken up that morning with a blocked nose; practically unable to smell anything – she didn't want to get a cold, as well. No way in hell she'd ask for Jacob Black to fix it; the thought actually made her laugh.

After pondering for a few moments, an idea struck her. She hadn't seen a certain blonde, charismatic girl in a few days. Quite a few days, actually.

Decided, she shot the girl a quick text, asking if she was home. As she waited for a response, her fingers drummed on her leg, mint eyes scrutinising her slightly dishevelled appearance in her mirror.

Her phone beeped a minute later:

Imogen <3

yea come visit !! pen's coming over in like an hour, you can properly meet her??

Grateful for an excuse to procrastinate going home, Lucy eagerly agreed, starting her car and driving off towards her friend's house. But even with her radio softly playing Gwen Stefani (Seth's doing), she was not in a happy mood. Her smile had been sugary all day, her words honeyed and sweet; yet behind her pleasant demeanour, she was all dark clouds and thunder. She had learned long ago how to mask turbulent emotions, how to put on a good front for work. The last thing she needed was for people to realise she was having family issues. That was private.

Imogen Arroyo's house was located on the very edge of the reservation, literally a walk away from Forks. When she pulled her mildly dirty blue car into her driveway, the front door was already open, and a smirking Imogen stood, waiting.

Lucy let a laugh tumble from her lips. "Hi, Im." She called, grabbing her bag and exiting the car.

"Hey, pretty girl." She playfully returned, gesturing for the girl to come in. "You just off work?"

"Yeah," She sighed, shrugging of her coat and hanging it on the coat rack. "It was chaos this morning."

Imogen began leading her to her bedroom but threw a questioning glance over her shoulder at the last comment. "I didn't know you were on today?"